What can you tell me about millet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    A friend of mine just discovered that she has a nice patch of millet growing in her yard. Millet is bird feed right? Chickens are birds..... ergo free food??

How would I harvest it? Can I just cut and dry the stalks and then put the stalks where they can peck them??

2. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Sounds like free food to me!

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't see why not.

cut it, dry it and let the birds have at it. I would cut off the leafy parts, just to cut down on mess while drying. Hang it upside down in a paper bag and dry.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That my parakeets would gorge themselves on it if it was on the spray!

Bet the chickens would love to pick it up and gobble them down!

5. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    My chickens love millet sprays as a special treat! I wish I had a free source.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens have been eating millet, usually once a week or so, since they were 2 or 3 weeks old. We have a garden space tagged for planting them some millet in the spring.

7. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Our feed store will get the monster sized millet stalks in every so often, and sell them 3 for $1.00, and I usually get $5.00. I save them mostly for our cockatiel, but take 3 or 4 out for the girls.

I can offer this warning: once your girls figure out what it is, and recognize it, you are at risk of attack, as mine will jump off the ground to rip it out of my hands.

[​IMG]
    Em

8. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    My brother-inlaw has a big millet patch. I have a 5 gallon bucket clear full of it. Just hang it in some panty hose and let it dry and they love it. And it is good for them.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh I forgot to add: When mine were little, less than four months old, I always took the buds off the stalk and discarded the stalk. The reason being I had to literally pull a stalk out of one piggy's (I mean chicken's) crop. That same chicken tried to swallow a fig whole yesterday. [​IMG]

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Thanks for the tip!! I'm going to hang it high and make 'em jump!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by