What cat food should I choose?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dreamer5577, Mar 24, 2015.

1. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Recently I became VERY aware of how many horrible dog and cat foods there are out there. I successfully switched over my dog's food to a good affordable brand. I am so stuck on the cat food though. We feed her Purina cat chow now and I've known that is a crappy brand, and I know it's time for a change!

What do you feed your cats? IDEALLY I would like something made in the USA and something that isn't made with complete crap.

Thanks!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    There's also a lot of fantasy marketing "information" out there! My cats have eaten Hill's Science Diet for decades, unless there's an individual with special needs. Hills has done actual food trials, and has a long history of quality. There are other good brands, and you have to choose. Ingredient lists can be deceptive; do you have training in animal nutrition? Mary

3. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have no training in nutrition.
    I was looking at Hill's Science Diet. I was almost convinced, but a lot of articles that I read say that it is right up there with Purina.
    I know a lot of those articles are unreliable though.

I never thought it would be so difficult to find a GOOD cat food!

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I have no training in animal nutrition, but i do know that a cat (and a dog) is a carnivore. Most foods out there are filled with crappy fillers (corn is most common, but i've seen others) and cats are not meant to be eating that. Sure, they can live, but they can't thrive. Personally, Hills is not a food i would do. Even their foods are filled with fillers, though i would say they are better that some foods out there. I would try to get a grain free food.

After looking at a lot of different brands, we figured out most grain-free brands are expensive, and with as many animals as i have i could not afford things like blue. I found 4 Health at tractor supply company and it is an affordable grain-free food. I can get a 16 lb bag of cat food for $22, and a the same for the dog food. Its not perfect, but for an affordable grain-free dry food, its pretty good. The animals love it as well.

Good job for looking into what your pets eat!

5. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you so much! I will definitely look into that food! :)

6. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    your welcome :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by