What caused this? Eyes and comb shriveled up.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whererv, Nov 8, 2016.

1. whererv

whererv New Egg

Jun 22, 2008
    One of our hens has just gone blind. Her eyes and comb are all shriveled. Is this a pest or a virus or injury?[​IMG]

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I can't see well in the picture but it looks to me like she has been attacked and has had injuries around her head. Isolate her in a quiet location with food and water.

Maybe someone else might have other ideas. Hope she pulls through.

1 person likes this.
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Looks like a case of dry pox? Is there any "yellow stuff" in her mouth?

4. whererv

whererv New Egg

Jun 22, 2008
    Just went out and checked. Nothing yellow. I saw avian pox on the list of ailments and it does look very similar. Can it shrink up eyeballs? Is it contagious? How do I protect the rest of the flock? She is isolated now, but she was with them up until bedtime tonight when we noticed she was blind cause she couldn't find her way to the pen to go to bed.

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I dont know anything about it but maybe @casportpony is on? I'm sorry... I dont know much about sickness in birds.

6. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    looks like dry pox. you must protect her eyes. send a private message to @casportpony as I am not familiar with the medicines you have. keep her separated from the other ones although it is difficult to stop dry pox. the chickens usually survive.

put some iodine on those scabs (make sure you don't put it in the eyes) and you will need some ointment for the eyes. you can also put a drop of iodine in her mouth. I have read today that black peppercorns help to dry it out within 4-5 days but I have not tried it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by