What causes blood rings when incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by giasmom, May 7, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I've got 8 eggs in my bator. Today was day nine. All are doing well & moving around except 1 of them. This 1 egg has what I guess you call a blood ring. What causes this? Is it something that could of been prevented? These eggs have been handled very little, And temps & humidity have been steady since I set them. Anyone?

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Anybody?

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A blood ring indicates that the egg is no good. It may not have been fertile.

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
  5. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    I suppose it would be the bird version of a miscarriage. It just happens sometimes. If the rest are doing well, you weren't doing anything terribly wrong.

Jim

6. ashera

ashera Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Bacteria, most likely. I would leave it in the incubator a little longer, but if there is no developement it needs to be removed.

7. TheBuff

TheBuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    S.E. IOWA
    The main reason of slight blood rings is improper temperature. Check accuracy of thermometer. Check thermostat,heating element,current supply.check operating temperature against instructions.

8. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Thanks to all. I can see that it is no good I was just curious as to what may have caused it. Especially since all the others are okay. Its weird though , the other egg from this hen is fine.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A blood ring is formed when the developing embryo dies and the blood leaves the embryo to pool in a ring.

10. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Quote:Thats what I was looking for..Specledhen you are the Queen of the chicken world!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by