What causes bloody eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dmlund, Feb 14, 2010.

1. dmlund

dmlund New Egg

Feb 14, 2010
    We have 4 hens and NO rooster. One of the hens is laying eggs that are very often bloody. The whites are rose colored and around the yolk there is a lot of blood.

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG] !! I've never had a hen lay a bloody egg like you described, sometimes just smears on the outsides of the shells. Are yours just starting to lay or are they older? Sounds like there's a problem with the plumbing [​IMG]

3. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    What breed are they? Could it have something to do with that breed being more suceptable to blood spots?

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I have had a few like that from one of my hens. I think it was just a glitch in her system when she was getting started. I have heard that that can happen when the have some trauma like a really bad landing coming off the roost so you may want to take a look at how your coop is set up, where she roosts etc. and see if you think that may be happening.

[​IMG]

6. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Thanks for that link Imp. The only thing I'm guilty of is the light on all night. Otherwise it was only 1 breed's eggs and not the other 2 that had specks in the yolk. I thought it could be breed related.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:It's not necessarily the light. I have a light on all night too and have never found a bloody egg. I think a lot of chicken stuff is specific to the individual bird. If it was only 1 breed then I would lean towards that line as well. Maybe not the breed, but maybe some disposition for that line. If they are new layers it might go away as they mature. Good luck

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by