What causes bood rings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CCourson05, May 2, 2011.

1. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    A couple of the eggs I'm hatching, which are all from my flock, have them? Is there something I can do to prevent it?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Blood ring - this usually refers to the candled appearance of an egg in which the embryo has died at a young age.

3. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:And there you have your answer. Dead embryo. Discard the egg. [​IMG]

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Lol. I knew that part. I guess my question was ambiguous. I am sorry.

Does anyone know what causes it, and how can I prevent it?

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I lurk the incubating and hatching eggs threads to learn as I haven't summoned the courage to try incubating yet. Have started making the incubator though. So I don't have any practical experience.

I have read that some breeders feed a different diet to the hens when they plan to collect for hatching. I just haven't been able to determine which components are increased. protein, vit/minerals, fats, calories . . . . I'm thinking that most people don't know to do this to get better hatching and survival rates. GL

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Commonly it is said bacteria causes it, not sure myself.

Many highly sterilize/sanitize the incubator before attempting a hatch and try tot handle the eggs as little as possible, etc etc-

I try not to set eggs with improper blood (to high or too low) or cracked/ damaged eggs. I do handle my eggs but I wo wash hands before and after.

of a total of 48 eggs I've only had two blood rings.

7. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I have clean fresh eggs collected from the same location and/or the same hen. Some will do that (very few) while the rest will be fine. I don't know the scientific causes; I just know it is a part of the process that is to be expected to some extent. I wouldn't be too concerned unless this was a frequent occurrence or a high percentage.

Did it happen around day 10?

8. drpeeps2014

drpeeps2014 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    De Leon Springs, FL
    Try something new one at a time, so you can identify where the problem is

Make sure you are feeding a complete and balanced food, vitamin and mineral deficiencies commonly cause poor hatch rates.

Incubation/storage temps/humidity?

Are the duds coming from the same hen? (physiological problem)

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:I don't candle often because I'm already handling my eggs so much, But I get it day 8-10, never had one after that time, but my % bloodring is small.

(come to think of it they -might- have been from the same hen...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by