What causes coop fires?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sabz, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    This may sound stupid, but I am wondering what are the main causes of fires in coop? I read that many coops have caught fire when trying to heat/light them.

I was wondering if it was, for example, the electrical wire going through the wall, the chickens that peck the wires, the hay too close to the heat source, the light bulb falling in the hay.. etc.

I was thinking of wiring and insulating the coop as we did for the house. I would put the outlet near the top of the coop and protect it by a little cover. I would protect my light bulb with a wired cage to be sure the chickens can't touch it. I will make sure the wire from the outlet to the bulb is either hidden in the closed wall OR protected by a box..althought it will probably not prevent "flying" lost features from going ON the bulb.. and I was wondering if that was dangerous (it sounds so, to me..).

I wasn't thinking of heating my coop, but I would surely like to have some light. I don't think they will have fun to be in the dark all the time. Even though I will have some opening, it will remain darker in the coop, and I will probably appreciate the light when I go clean and feed, considering that in winter time I only see daylight when I'm sitting at my desk at the office :S

Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Usually it's from the bulb coming in contact with or being too close to flammable material while trying to HEAT a coop

It's a lot more rare for the wiring alone to cause a fire

3. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Oh ok, so I should be fine if my bulb is at about 5 feet height, and far from the roosters and poop boards, I suppose.

What about flying features, is that dangerous? I am not even sure if the chickens loose a lot, and if they flap their wings enough to make the features end up on the bulb but.. I was worried about that as well.

Thanks a lot.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The couple I know about personally were thought to have been caused by having heat lamps that were not attached properly and fell down / chickens knocked them down and they hit the bedding.
    I hate to admit it, but I will use extension cords and trouble lights, which I know is asking for trouble. But, barn wiring should be run in metal conduit, especially if you have rodent problems, and light bulbs around animals should have covers, something like this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._t=1401&pf_rd_p=1619431302&pf_rd_i=1001042361

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you're concerned with dust or other lightweight debris, install a fixture that allows the bulb to be enclosed or at least covered.

This is similar to what I have in my barn
    It's a wire sheild AND a clear glass globe covering the bulb:

[​IMG]

6. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    oh ok! That is what I mean by wired cage, but I didn't know some of those had a glass cage also!

Problem solved, thanks.

Good point for metal wiring.. I'm going to get it done by a professionnal (I am super scared of fire lol) but I will surely make sure he uses metal!

7. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I mean.. wire IN a metal conduit.

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Outlets without GFCI, extension cords, heat lamps, or light bulbs, and flighty birds. Some times spontaneous combustion.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  9. 25 chickens

25 chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    I plan on installing those kind of light fixtures in my coop,They sell them at Home Depot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by