What causes horrific smelling poop?

RaeRae2

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
We all know what chicken poop smells like..........but what causes horribly rotten, acrid, smelling poop? Smell so bad that it knocks you over when you walk into the chicken house?

I am wondering if this could be a clue to what's wrong with my paralyzed hen.

The first 3 days after I found her paralyzed, she had the most horrific smelling poop imaginable. Made me gag and eyes water. You could smell it 4 feet away from her hospital cage. But now it's fine and is just normal smelling chicken droppings.

She is improving and can stand up on her hocks and use her wings to take a few steps. She is eating and drinking really well, preening herself, and doesn't act sick at all. But her legs are paralyzed. She's 2 years old so I don't think it could be Mareks, though she was NOT vaccinated.

Sorry I keep posting about this bird, but this is such a mystery to me!

P.S. - to the poster who recommended the Spa Treatment - I did that and it did not help her paralysis, but it did remove all the deep redness that her skin around the vent and bottom had. She's had that redness for at least a year. After a 20 minute soak in a warm epsom salt bath, her skin is the normal pale/yellow chicken skin color and has stayed that color.

We all know what chicken poop smells like..........but what causes horribly rotten, acrid, smelling poop? Smell so bad that it knocks you over when you walk into the chicken house?

I am wondering if this could be a clue to what's wrong with my paralyzed hen.

The first 3 days after I found her paralyzed, she had the most horrific smelling poop imaginable. Made me gag and eyes water. You could smell it 4 feet away from her hospital cage. But now it's fine and is just normal smelling chicken droppings.

She is improving and can stand up on her hocks and use her wings to take a few steps. She is eating and drinking really well, preening herself, and doesn't act sick at all. But her legs are paralyzed. She's 2 years old so I don't think it could be Mareks, though she was NOT vaccinated.

Sorry I keep posting about this bird, but this is such a mystery to me!

P.S. - to the poster who recommended the Spa Treatment - I did that and it did not help her paralysis, but it did remove all the deep redness that her skin around the vent and bottom had. She's had that redness for at least a year. After a 20 minute soak in a warm epsom salt bath, her skin is the normal pale/yellow chicken skin color and has stayed that color.

This is happening to my Serama Hen. Did you find out what was wrong with your chicken? Thanks!

This is happening to my Serama Hen. Did you find out what was wrong with your chicken? Thanks!
@LauraPal Welcome To BYC!

The OP (original poster) of this thread has not been on since 2014 so it's unlikely they will respond.
If you would like some help with your Serama we will be happy to try:)
Provide us with photos of her and her poop along with a description of symptoms that she has, each "case" is a bit unique, so tell us about your girl.

Look forward to your photos and information.

Back
Top Bottom