What causes pasty bum??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by steffpeck, May 21, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have 5 new little chicks that hatched last Thursday, 3 sizzles and 2 salmon favorelles, one of the favorelles started getting pasty bum 2 days ago and now the other one has it really bad to. I keep cleaning them off, but it keeps coming back. What causes it and what can I do to get it to go away??

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's pretty common in chicks who are being hand-raised. Once you get them cleaned up really good, you can rub a little cooking oil or baby oil on their bums and bum fuzz to keep the poo from sticking. If you have trouble getting them clean, I have had success holding their bottoms under warm (not too warm) water and gently working the dried stuff off. Of course, they usually scream like you are trying to kill them, but it doesn't hurt them if you are gentle.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Make sure the chicks do not get chilled and there are no drafts. Sugar for more than a day or feed other than their chick starter can make pasty butt worse. Usually it is due to some sort of stress that occurs, with the most common one being chilling during shipping.

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good point about the chilling, Silkie. If I have to get one wet, I usually dry it off with a soft towel really well, then put it directly under the heat lamp and go back to check on it often until I'm sure it is ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by