What causes soft yolks?

chicksgalore

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
For the past few months of cold weather, we have been noticing the yolks in our eggs are very soft--that is to say they break very easily, whether you're frying them or trying to separate them for baking. Just wondering if anyone knows what would cause this?

I haven't had too many yolk problems, though I did have a marbleized yolk a little over a week ago. My older girls, however, are laying eggs with really runny whites.

My girls are free range and the majority of the eggs I'm getting right now are from new layers that just started about a month ago...

This might sound stupid but I have a lot of roosters I need to cull right now--this wouldn't have anything to do with it?

Could be freezing during the day. Do you collect several times a day or once at night? Freezing and then thawing will make them less firm and runnier.

You could have something there--we gather at night and it has been below freezing a lot here lately.

That could be it then. I noticed that some of my eggs get mostly frozen, not frozen enough to crack open, and then they thaw out. The contents are more runny than a fresh laid warm egg.

Back
Top Bottom