1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What causes soft yolks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksgalore, Feb 1, 2009.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    For the past few months of cold weather, we have been noticing the yolks in our eggs are very soft--that is to say they break very easily, whether you're frying them or trying to separate them for baking. Just wondering if anyone knows what would cause this?

2. rowan1

rowan1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    kingwood nj
    try hard boiling? LOL

3. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    are your birds caged up or free range? I find free range birds have strong yolks wile cage ones have soft yolks.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hmmm never heard of that. Mine are cooped and theirs are nice and firm....

5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    As the hens get older the egg isn't as stong. Could be causing it.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I haven't had too many yolk problems, though I did have a marbleized yolk a little over a week ago. My older girls, however, are laying eggs with really runny whites.

7. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    My girls are free range and the majority of the eggs I'm getting right now are from new layers that just started about a month ago...

This might sound stupid but I have a lot of roosters I need to cull right now--this wouldn't have anything to do with it?

8. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Could be freezing during the day. Do you collect several times a day or once at night? Freezing and then thawing will make them less firm and runnier.

9. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    You could have something there--we gather at night and it has been below freezing a lot here lately.

10. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    That could be it then. I noticed that some of my eggs get mostly frozen, not frozen enough to crack open, and then they thaw out. The contents are more runny than a fresh laid warm egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by