1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What causes some chicks to be half the size of others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheeshshe, Apr 7, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    OK, so I have 8 chicks downstairs...2 of each type. 2 Welsummers, 2 black sex links, 2 dominiques, and 2 EE's. The welsummers are 5 1/2 weeks old, doms and links are 4 weeks old, and the EE's are 2 1/2 weeks old.

The wellies, 1 is twice the size of the other. Same with the EE's and same with the dominiques. The black sex links are the same size however. I mean, especially the welsummers, the size difference is remarkable. but really you can tell huge differences in sizes with all types except for the links.

what on earth causes this? is it a dominance thing within the breed? like who dominates who for food?

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    some breeds grow faster then others. You should see the size difference between my 2 red pullets and my 4 cornish x that are the same age.

3. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    In this case i"m talking about within the same breed.

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    Sorry i must have read your post wrong. I think you may be on to something with the their not as dominant as the others and getting pushed away from the feeders. I hope somebody can help you figure out whats going on.

5. chickgarden

chickgarden Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    I have a similar question. I have one chick that just is so much smaller than the rest (Ameracauna). I'll be interested to hear what others more experienced have to say.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It's the luck of the gene pool poker draw, I'm afraid. Out of a flock of pullets, all from the same breeding, some "runts" always show up.

7. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    Interesting that I'd get a couple runts hehehe. I don't mind as long as they all turn out alright... which they seem to be doing just fine :)

8. Chickenjocky

Chickenjocky Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Des Moines Iowa
    The smallest of my birds seem to be the best layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by