What causes splayed legs?

mrslb333

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Recently I've had a high number of chicks and ducklings with splayed legs (at least 2 per 6 hatched). At first I thought it was the floor of my incubator being a bit slippy so I fitted a non-slip mat but it doesn't seem to have worked. Thinking now it could be something to do with the incubation process I have a cabinet incubator that's forced air set at 99.5 and it stays constant humidity I try to keep around 40%. The babies legs go back to normal in a few days after they have been strapped but I'd like to figure out the cause.
thanks in advance x
smile.png

bel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
East bay
Usually its the floor, what are you using under them in the brooder?
I use paper towel the first week it works good. Only one we had really hatched splayed but he was a runt and I think he was born weak (he still grew up to be the biggest jerk of all the roos)

mrslb333

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I've switched to the rubbery shelf liner but it's still not having much effect. It only started when I switched to my new incubator so I'm at a loss to the cause
sad.png

mrslb333

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Quote:
Not that I've noticed but I tend to lose track of which ones which. I have some Buttons on lockdown so will pay close attention. What would it mean if it were the last ones?
smile.png

chickadee4

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
West Tennessee
I have found that the ones that hatch later are the ones that have problems. Quail are the same way, anyone hatching after 17 1/2 days seems not to do well

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom