What causes "watery FIZZ" in eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosco, Sep 30, 2010.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    one eye of our silkie is producing FIZZ. Has anyone seen this before?

[​IMG]

the photo may not show enough, but the white stuff in the corner is Fizz that keeps coming back.

THX for any help!

2. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    It's usually one of the first (and sometimes continuing) symptom of one of the respiratory diseases.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    ditto what ND said.

You need to isolate that bird from the rest of your flock immediately, at least until you can determine what the problem is.

4. The Egg Bandit

The Egg Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sorry for your bird. It may survive whatever it is, but could be a carrier the rest of its life. I had two birds last year develop "bubbles" in their eyes shortly after I got them. Both were promptly humanely terminated, but I didn't feel comfortable eating them, even though posters on here said they were probably ok to eat. Not worth the risk. Also not worth the risk to the rest of your flock if you keep them. Just MHO.
    Good luck, whatever you decide.

5. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    would anyone have an idea what type of respiratory infection? upper i'm assuming.

they all stretch their necks and open mouth lick they are trying to swallow a fish.

the vet said he didn't have to be isolated and it was just a very bad sinus infection.

has anyone used the "nfz puffer?" the warning label scares me. but i was told it would have worked for what i believe was a Coryza infection.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    If it was Coryza, the chick would smell like something died in it's mouth.

Mycoplasma (MG) is known to cause that bubbly eye and move on to coughing and snot-slinging. MG is one of the diseases that will make a bird a carrier for life. If your flock gets MG and you don't care to isolate and cull, you need to close your flock and not sell birds or hatching eggs because any birds you sell could pass it on and it can be passed from hen to egg.

Chickens don't get "colds" and symptoms may go away with treatment, but many respiratory diseases make the birds carriers for the rest of their lives. The only way to know for sure is to get a state vet out and have samples sent to the lab.

7. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Southernbelle -
    THank you for your informed reply!

i'm am thinking the state vet would be a good idea. i'll call tomorrow and get costs. i'd like to know if the eggs may be eaten.

during this first infection, our vet said it was a sinus infection, we noticed a yucky smell from around the eye and nostril. there was a lot of exudate. the vet told us the chick (now pullet) would get over it most likely and the eggs would be okay.

culling is not really an option. it is way past time for that decision.

Thank you again. -rosco

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

What you are describing definately sounds like MG... puffy bubbly/fizzy eyes, nasal drainage, making motions or sounds like they are choking (stretching out neck and gaping mouth open) are all very big signs of MG.

Honestly if you got your chickens for meat and eggs I would say cull as MG infected birds even when the active infection has passed when they become 'carriers' they lay very poorly...Also any new birds you introduce to your home will become infected as well...

If these are simply pets and eggs do not matter - give them a solid 10 days of antibiotics do not eat any eggs during treatment and for 2 weeks after last day of treatment.

I just want to wisely advice you that your birds will probably get over this (except maybe the bubbly eye - that can stick around after all other symptoms are past) and seem perfectly fine, but they will carry the disease in their bodies and shed it in their feces and dander to spread to any other birds that come in contact with it...So any new birds will likely contract the disease upon coming onto your property and will likely get actively sick with the symptoms...Chicks are more likely to die from respitory illnesses like MG, so I would never add new young chicks to your existing flock in the future.

MG carriers can live perfectly normal chicken lives, however sometimes the symptoms of the disease can crop back up from time to time...

I only seriously stress that you are careful about where you go after you have had contact with your birds...I want to advise you if you go somewhere with other chickens or poultry to not wear shoes to wear in your chicken pen, and change clothes if you've handled your chickens and going to another location...This is to protect someone else's animals from contracting what yours have.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by