What causes yoke to 'melt'?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Donna in Montana, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Donna in Montana

Donna in Montana Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    At this time we are down to one chicken laying. Two are sitting on eggs and the rest are too young.

"Oreo" is around 4-5 years old. She's a Cochin and my favorite bird. Her last 8 eggs, regardless if put into a hot pan or a bowl, will look fine for a few seconds then the yoke will 'melt' out into the white.

My birds are free ranged with 'scratch' available at all times. I've never seen eggs like this and don't know if it's because of her age or something that all of a sudden she doesn't have to eat. I've seen the term 'layer feed' but have never bought it and don't know if that would help or not. They have plenty of calcium and the shells are hard enough.

(Different subject: Our hen, Jill, has been setting on 4 eggs which should hatch at any time. A couple of days ago Oreo decided SHE wanted to set on the eggs (she's already had a couple of chicks this summer, one which a raven took) and although we would remove Oreo, even putting her outside the pen and closing the door, as soon as she saw the door open she'd make a beeline for the coop. I went in to look and Oreo was standing on top of Jill. I had wondered how she persuaded Jill to leave the nest. After trying to keep Oreo in our fenced yard and her still sitting in Jill's box when put in for the night we finally took three eggs out from under Oreo leaving her one egg. That seems to have done the trick. What good little moms these Cochins are.)

If this continues she will not be able to produce viable eggs to hatch, would she?

Thanks for any answers or suggestions to this problem.
    Donna in Montana

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    As your girls age the egg quality can suffer some and cause this as well as chalky egg whites or thin shells... That is why folks not keeping their hens as pets change out flocks every couple or few years as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by