What cheap dog food do you recommend?

ChickenAddict09

Hatching
May 21, 2015
Hi everyone! I'm new here. My first post isn't about chickens.... but, we're getting our first dog soon and I have no idea what food to feed her. He's a medium sized goldendoodles and will end up to be around 30-40 lbs.

The breeder is feeding them Purina Pro Plan, but i'm not sure if that's a good quality food. I shop at petsmart for my pets, but if I can't find the food there than I could look at a feed store.

Do you reccomend any good dog foods that I can buy in around a 30 lb bag, for around $40, haha I can't afford Acana and all that expensive food.

Thank you!

Where are you? When I was living up north I had my mutt on the pc brand dog food, she did well on that. Nutrition first or something I think it's called? Found at loblaws/superstore.

Down here I have her on a brand that's kinda Southern California-regioned...Kahoots. seems to be doing alright on that too.

Always check the nutrition label. Check too how much they suggest feeding - I've noticed some of the "cheaper" foods expect you to feed your dog a lot more - so even if you're paying a bit less for a big honking bag, you're feeding more so it kind of balances.

I've had friends who seem to be fans of that blue brand....haven't tried it myself.

Merricks- well oddly enough my dog does fabulous with the wet food (she gets wet as a treat, if we're traveling, if she needs incentive to eat....) but had a bit of a skin reaction to the dry I tried. Results may vary - they do use good quality foodstuffs from all I've seen about them. May have just been a one off, or something she reacted to.

Important to note: get a bag of what the breeder feeds. Introduce new food gradually. Sudden change of food can cause upset tummies.

Another edit: this site may help you.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Last edited:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/

This may help.

I wouldn't necessarily search for a "cheap" food. We personally use Taste of the Wild. It's grain free and around here runs about $45 dollars for the big bag...maybe 30 lbs or so. We have two 9 year old dogs and they thrive on it. I would avoid Beneful and other foods similar. I hear a lot of health issues occur on those foods. I hear Blue Diamond is decent also..not sure on price though.

Also, welcome to BYC and congrats on your first dog
smile.png

I feed Diamond Naturals, it's less than $40 for 40 pounds. It gets 4 out of 5 stars on Dogfoodadvisor.com
No corn, no wheat, no soy and it's pretty easy to find.
Good luck!!

This may not be the answer your looking for but somethig you could consider if your looking to lessen costs. All my dog and cat food I get from the dumpsters behind petsmart. Certain stores will put all the dry expired dog and cat food bags in one double bagged black trash bag. While all the other trash is in clear bags. They do cut the price barcode off the bag so there's a little mix of loose food in the bag but there's usualy always more than half of the original food in each bag. Dog food is completely safe up to a year after the expiration date as log as it stays dry. You defenitly have to find the right place thoo..there are two places I go. One does the black bag the other dumps the food right into the dumpster so I never take that crap BUT they always seem to have pet carriers and cages that are "damaged" lol
I've gotten over $500 worth of carriers and cages this month. I sell some, use some as brooders or chicken shippers

And as far as quaility I most frequently find blue seal and can read the ingredients of any others and if I don't like what's in em I'll donate them to a shelter or to other friends with pets who aren't as picky lkl

Used diamond for years but in got to be really inconsistent texture different in every bag.taste of the wild is too expensive for what you get.I use victor premium and it's great and the price is good and all usa ingredients too

Okay thanks everyone! I think I might try Kahoots, I read lots of good reviews after searching it up (I'm in south california too. Do you have any idea how much it costs lol?), or Taste of the wild.

Also, not related to food but...

When is it okay to take my puppy outside? He'll be 10 weeks old when we get him. There are LOTS of other dogs around the neighborhood, especially on our street (there's a park sort of thing right outside our house, and the dogs run around off leash.) We're also going away for a couple days in late July, and the hotel is dog friendly.

Back
Top Bottom