What Chick Is This??

Aug 18, 2020
South Africa
Alrighty yall. I’m back. After our lone little button quail chick was dropped off at our wildlife rescue centre, you guys helped a-lot. So I’m back because someone dropped off a lone chicken chick today. I need you guys to please help me figure out a few things:

1. What breed is it? She’s quite a bit smaller than your average chick. (Hoping it’s a bantam so we can keep it!)

2. She keeps sitting up really straight and sometimes stumbling backwards a bit. She was apparently found on the side of a road so she could have been bumped. But any other suggestions as to why she is doing this?

3. She won’t eat or drink by herself. I keep “pecking” at the chick starter with my finger and sometimes she lightly pecks at it, but thats it. (I have only had her for less than an hour so maybe she’s still stressed)

4. If she makes it and is a small breed like a bantam, can her and our button quail co exist in the garden together when they’re older?

Thanks for any of your advice in advance! Here are some picks:

Attachments

• 6A364969-5F28-45E3-96E2-0CA01C454094.jpeg
    6A364969-5F28-45E3-96E2-0CA01C454094.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 1E8939D9-7B86-4F91-B0CA-7AFFAD7EE62B.jpeg
    1E8939D9-7B86-4F91-B0CA-7AFFAD7EE62B.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 8
Okay so, to answer all of your questions,

The vitamins and electrolytes have helped a ton. She’s running around, vocalizing and she ate two mealworms yesterday. But she hasn't pooped which was worrying me. Turns out she has pasty butt!! I’m cleaning her up and already she’s gaining an appetite. Still wobbly, but she’s getting there.

We don’t have a vet available at the moment. But seems like she’s getting better on her own and it was the pasty butt that was throwing her off.

Okay thanks! I’m quarantining her in a separate brooder from my quail for now just till I give her the all clear. Then I’ll fighre out a proper living situation for them since they eat different feed. (Any suggestions?) Further examination has led me to believe she has wry neck or star gazing. I’m giving her additional vitamins and helping her to drink every half an hour. She’s already walking better and has eaten a little. If anyone has any clue what breed she is please share!

She looks very young; guessing you've done vitamins and electrolytes with a syringe?

Does your rescue centre have an avian vet on staff that's had a chance to check them over?

You might want to start out with a thin slurry of starter crumble and drip-feed her, but if she's under 3 days, fluids and a heat source would be the priorities. There's a bit too much a risk of aspiration to do anything more drastic than that.

She should gain strength and improve over the next day... If not, the issue could be something congenital. Wryneck can be caused by poisoning as well as vitamin deficiencies; was she chilled at any point that you know of? This can also cause a lot of problems for a chick so young.

Will do. She started eating a bit of gamebird starter today and she ate about 5 mealworms. She just hates the chick starter, wont touch it.We introduced her and our lone baby button quail together today and at first she pecked at Suki (the button quail) but then they snuggled. They WILL NOT be sharing a brooder but we will let them spend time together everyday since they will probably end up living next to each other when they are older. (They’ll also have to free range under supervision together to serve as pest control in our garden)

We put them outside together and tiny Suki (Button quail) followed Tuco but got a little scared. Tuco foraged for a bit and had some fun.

A few more questions:

Can I raise Tuco on Suki’s gamebird feed? He eats it well but still wont touch the chick starter.

Is there any sort of raw diet I can feed Tuco? Such as insects, veggies, oats, grains etc?
You can, but game bird feed is very high in protein for chickens. Some folks have had chickens develop gout. Other folks have had no problems. Honestly, the best thing you can feed is regular ol' chick starter. You might try another brand, mixing the starter with the game bird feed, or making a mash.

And Tuco's a little young for anything else yet. I'd wait a little bit longer before giving it treats. It will need chick grit when you start feeding things other than starter.

Back
Top Bottom