1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What???? Chicken bouncing off the house at 3:49 am???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by GaNewChick, Nov 8, 2010.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    At 3:39 this morning I was sleeping so good when the sound of a squawking chicken bouncing off the side of the house woke me up. What???? I get up, throw on some flip flops, grab the flashlight, and head out in my pj's ... temp? somewhere in the 40's. I have 1 roo and 3 hens (game) that are not people friendly who showed up a couple of years ago. I've never been able to touch them, just throw them some scratch daily. They roost in a big bush/tree by the house.

Everyone was quiet ... no sound whatsoever. I did hear movement in the top of the bush, so my first thought was raccoon, possum, or owl ~ but still, no sound from anyone and couldn't see anything either. Even the coop was quiet. I walked around trying to find whoever it was that was surely on the ground somewhere. I heard it holler from down in the woods...so, off I go into the woods to find it, scared of what I might find. After being in the woods for about 45 seconds shining the light, SHE came running to me. I was finally able to corner her by the coop...when I reach down to pick her up ~ she SCREAMED with all her heart and soul. I can only imagine what she thought had grabbed her and was fixing to eat her. OMG...I high tailed it to the house, only to realize I didn't have the garage door open. Dangit...she is really screaming now. I opened the front door, the dogs who would normally knock me down to see what I have in my hands ... froze in their tracks. The cat raced under the bed.

I took her to the garage, looked her over good ... placed her on a high shelf and went back to bed. This morning ... I opened the garage where she had the nerve to run straight out without even a thank you ~ found her babies as if nothing had ever happened.

I'm not sure if something was after her, or if she thought something was. Guess I'll never know.

Sorry Sue ... my neighbor who sleeps with her window cracked open. [​IMG]

This is her on the left....

[​IMG]

2. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I have a rooster who is a screamer. I look for the predator, but have never found one. I think he just likes to freak me out. Those chickens are funny creatures sometimes. No need for an alarm clock [​IMG]

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Beautiful birds!

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Stories like this just make a mockery of the "calm quiet farm life" don't they. [​IMG]

Glad to hear your girl is safe though.

5. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    i am surprised you have two game roosters that don't try to kill each other.

I have games too, I love them. But they can be pretty vocal when you hold them. Mine are wild and the only time I have had my hands on any of them is when they were hurt.

sorry to laugh, but I had a visual of you in the woods with flip flops on running around chasing a bird -- i bet your neighbor that sleeps with the window open had a bit of laugh too..

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

7. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    They are beautiful birds! I joined BYC a couple of days ago (preparing for a move to a farm in the spring... FINALLY) and decided this would be a great place to learn about chickens... and the thing that has been prevalent through so many posts I've read is that... things are never dull with chickens around! (And oh... how I love entertainment! )

8. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Quote:I have 2 now (wild that is)....but aren't either one of those. I have my big boy, and one that is about 4 months old. I'm going to have to round him up around Jan/Feb and find him a home. I got rid of the others because they do try to kill each other. This picture was taken while they were still young babes and hadn't reached the age to fight.

I also have 3 roos and 2 hens that I was able to round up that are between the ages of 3 months to 5 months that I need to find homes for if anyone close would like them.

This is my top roo...and he knows it too. Sorry for the bad pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many years ago I had a flock of semi feral bantams. When chickens came crashing against the house at night it was due to Great Horned owl attacks. Half the flock was decimated before the remainder decided to forego the pines and sleep in the coop at night. Whatever it was will be back for anotheer try.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by