What chicken breed for first time newbies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Navyvet1204, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Navyvet1204

Navyvet1204 In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower Alabama
    If this is in the wrong forum please move.

Pretty soon I will be building my first coop and getting our first chickens! The wife and I are really excited! What is a good starter chicken for laying eggs?

My whole life my dad has always always always had Rhode Island Reds. Still does to this day but he also has several other kinds that I can’t remember off the top of my head. He always has a two hens and one rooster type setup in his many little “mini-coops” and It has served him well all the years. Are there any other common starter chickens that are easy to work with?

2. Australorps & Barred Rocks are both pretty easy to manage. They are calm, good with kids & excellent layers.

3. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    AU
    ISA Browns, Australorps, barred rocks, silkie hens are pretty good too just not great layers

Navyvet1204 and Ribh like this.
  4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Is there anything specific you're looking for in eggs, i.e. size, color(s), overall production?

Navyvet1204 likes this.
  5. DrumstickRanchTex

DrumstickRanchTex Chirping

Sep 26, 2017
    Years ago I had some Easter egged from New Mexico. The eggs were lavender, blue, pink, orange, green, and red.
    Those chickens are long gone and that hatchery breeds the Easter egg era for blue eggs.
    Any idea where I can get the chickens with a variety of pastel shell colors?
    Dave

Navyvet1204 likes this.
  6. Navyvet1204

Navyvet1204 In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower Alabama
    Honestly, I normal size egg is fine like from a grocery store.

7. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    Specked Sussex and/or buff Orpingtons would be good options as well

8. DrumstickRanchTex

DrumstickRanchTex Chirping

Sep 26, 2017

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Almost any standard sized breeds should be fine for you then. If you want to vary it a little get a few different breeds. Personally I like a little color variety in my egg basket, so Easter Eggers (usually blue) or Olive Eggers (green) would give you that, and Marans and Welsummers lay darker brown eggs. My Buckeye lays very standard medium brown eggs but hers are the closest to a grocery store "large" size out of all my chickens.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I imagine you will be doing a mixed flock. I suggest you stay away from hatchery Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshire or in other words Production Reds. They are the best with humans and their brooder mates but when moving on to introductions of new birds are the worst in accomadating them. THink bullying beyond normal pecking order. Just the way they are, great birds otherwise.

ANy of the sexlinks are excellent starter birds as they lay a ton of huge eggs and you are guaranteed pullets when picking up chicks. Sex linked by color so it's a no brainer what sex they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: