What chicken breed has been the most fun for you?

What's the most fun breed you've had?

• Total voters

fluffycrow

Chasing broodies
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2023
Attica Greece
This is intended to be a thread where we can have some fun! What is the most fun breed you've had or have? Not necessary your favorite, just the breed you had the most fun raising, or spending time with, or feeding, or even observing! So excited to hear all your fun stories and breeds!

Last edited:
This is a fun thread! What is the most fun breed you've had or have? Not necessary your favorite, just the breed you had the most fun raising, or spending time with, or feeding, or even observing! So excited to hear all your fun stories and breeds!
***Warning! Picture heavy!***

Probably my Polish. So much personality! And super friendly.

I have two who have special needs, and one, Myrtle, has bonded with my Call duck, Cheddar. They both have ATTITUDE and will corner the dog and cat, even though Myrtle has only one eye.

And she loves being pet. She is pretty imprinted on me after I had to nurse her back from the brink when she was 1 week old. I took her to work with me and kept her in my lap on a heating pad. For two weeks, I kept her with me, feeding her egg yolk and soupy chick crumble with a tiny spoon. I carried her around in a little bird cage.

Her favorite thing is to explore the planter boxes in the front yard. Here's Myrtle:
20220504_143500.jpg

20220507_095419.jpg

20220525_082020.jpg

20220525_081845.jpg

20220603_220618.jpg

20220615_231206.jpg

20220629_192401.jpg

20220820_191958.jpg

My other Polish, Twiggy, has a leg deformity from a slipped tendon that couldn't be corrected. When I realized Myrtle was too fragile to be put in my main coop, I went on FB and asked if anyone had a special needs chick around Myrtle's age that I could adopt. I got A LOT of replies, but most were for older chicks. But someone had a Polish that was just a week younger. Enter Twiggy.

Twiggy's leg is quite badly deformed. She hobbles around on her good foot and her hock joint and does just fine in her special low-to-the-ground coop. She requires a lot of care because the hock joint of her bad leg needs to be wrapped daily to prevent infection. But she's freaking adorable! She loves digging in leaf piles on the lawn and dust bathing. Here's Twiggy:
20220527_171258.jpg

20220601_223730.jpg

20220611_114123.jpg

20220629_192406.jpg

20220828_140146.jpg

20220830_193914.jpg

20221126_162445.jpg

Last edited:
***Warning! Picture heavy!***

Probably my Polish. So much personality! And super friendly.

I have two who have special needs, and one, Myrtle, has bonded with my Call duck, Cheddar. They both have ATTITUDE and will corner the dog and cat, even though Myrtle has only one eye.

And she loves being pet. She is pretty imprinted on me after I had to nurse her back from the brink when she was 1 week old. I took her to work with me and kept her in my lap on a heating pad. For two weeks, I kept her with me, feeding her egg yolk and soupy chick crumble with a tiny spoon. I carried her around in a little bird cage.

Her favorite thing is to explore the planter boxes in the front yard. Here's Myrtle:
View attachment 3398134
View attachment 3398135
View attachment 3398129
View attachment 3398131
View attachment 3398136
View attachment 3398132
View attachment 3398130
View attachment 3398128

My other Polish, Twiggy, has a leg deformity from a slipped tendon that couldn't be corrected. When I realized Myrtle was too fragile to be put in my main coop, I went on FB and asked if anyone had a special needs chick around Myrtle's age that I could adopt. I got A LOT of replies, but most were for older chicks. But someone had a Polish that was just a week younger. Enter Twiggy.

Twiggy's leg is quite badly deformed. She hobbles around on her good foot and her hock joint and does just fine in her special low-to-the-ground coop. She requires a lot of care because the hock joint of her bad leg needs to be wrapped daily to prevent infection. But she's freaking adorable! She loves digging in leaf piles on the lawn and dust bathing. Here's Twiggy:
View attachment 3398144
View attachment 3398141
View attachment 3398146
View attachment 3398147
View attachment 3398142
View attachment 3398143
View attachment 3398145

So cute!

OK yall I've started the poll using @Aunt Angus 's choice, and mine (again, once i have my photos back ill share them with you here with a more extensive explanation) , now it's up to you to say yours!

I will choose Barred Rock. We have over 50 chickens at the farm, and by far my favorite is the Barred Rock. She is super sweet & cuddly, loves being petted and will take a nap on your lap, but CRAVES attention. Not everyone there gives her enough, so once she jumped on my uncle’s back when he bent down to get something and accidentally scratched him pretty bad when he stood up! We laughed about our “attack chicken”. I love her so much I ordered another Barred Rock for my home flock since I don’t have one here. My favorite bird at home is my speckled Sussex. Same personality, a little less cuddly and more nosy, but super friendly and likes to be near us.

The two favorites (as babies):
1675773680177.jpeg

1675773758239.jpeg

I will choose Barred Rock. We have over 50 chickens at the farm, and by far my favorite is the Barred Rock. She is super sweet & cuddly, loves being petted and will take a nap on your lap, but CRAVES attention. Not everyone there gives her enough, so once she jumped on my uncle’s back when he bent down to get something and accidentally scratched him pretty bad when he stood up! We laughed about our “attack chicken”. I love her so much I ordered another Barred Rock for my home flock since I don’t have one here. My favorite bird at home is my speckled Sussex. Same personality, a little less cuddly and more nosy, but super friendly and likes to be near us.

The two favorites (as babies):
View attachment 3398221
View attachment 3398222

They're so cute! Into the poll they go!

Not sure that any breed in particular has been more 'fun' than the others to raise. All are fun and all make me want to strangle them sometimes when they do stuff they know better than to do. Especially David the silkie. Boy is a while different level of special. Thankfully his daughters got mama's brains and toes and not his.

I guess probably Big Boy, my Asian Black male. It's nice to see how big he is when he's our loose in the sheep pen.

My sebright Honey was funny too, she would sunbathe so Intensely she acted dead. Taught a silkie how to do that before she died so I still have that drama on summer days

Bantam cochins are a fairly entertaining breed. I have 8 at the moment- a breeding quadruple of red bantam cochins, a partridge bantam cochin hen, and 3 chicks from the red bantam cochins. Two of the red BCs are also broody, and I should be getting chicks today or tomorrow from one of them.

My bantam cochins have an adorable little quirk of snuggling eachother, even in adulthood. I think the last time I saw this was when one hen *surprise* popped out an egg in front of me, and was trying to snuggle underneath the rooster who was being nosy.
Anyways, they’ve also been decent layers, but 10+ months old when they started laying, and they did well when I had them in a flock of primarily LF birds.
I hope this little black chick tells you how well they did. The bantam hens were sitting for one of my Lf roosters obsessively, and I got an accident baby out of that.
28DFE8A3-0FC2-4175-85C0-DC8052619E9B.jpeg

Also, my partridge bantam cochin trying to fight a turkey.
6E487E61-3224-4B8E-9A76-900A18286B72.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom