what chicken breed should i get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fluffychick430, May 30, 2016.

1. fluffychick430

fluffychick430 Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Alberta,Canada
    hi i live in a town that is against chickens

but i own a farm

and moving back sorta soon (2 years)

what chicken breed should i get (i want chickens with fluffy feet)

please cold hardy

and please state egg production [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Feathered feet breeds are D'uccles, Cochins, Brahmas, French Marans, Faverolles, Langshans, Sultans and silkies.

That makes them less desirable in places where it snows or has muddy conditions.

Most except the silkies are cold hardy.

3. Filiz

Filiz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    London
    I have my first ever Easter chickens pekin bantoms such funny friendly creatures I love them!

4. Gnarled Carrots

Gnarled Carrots Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Washington
    If your neighbors aren't excited about chickens, I'd go for quieter varieties and limiting the amount of roosters that you have. Being in a cold climate, you're going to have to look out for frost getting stuck to their feathered feet! Although this can be a nuisance, it's not impossible to work around. Trimming their feathers in the winter can help. Otherwise, the feathers on their feet can form icicles or get them stuck to the snow.

If you're looking for production birds, I'd recommend Faverolles, or Marans. If you're looking for more dual purpose birds, I'd recommend Brahmas or Cochins. Otherwise, there are several breeds of chickens that have feathered feet.

Chickens with Feathered Feet:

Brahmas (standard and bantam): lay 3-4 brown eggs/week; tend to be friendly, sweet, quiet, and broody; cold and heat hardy; color varieties include buff, dark, and light

Cochin (standard and bantam): lay 2-3 brown eggs/week; tend to be friendly, broody; heat hardy; color varieties include barred, black, blue, brown, buff, golden laced, partridge, silver laced, and white (sometimes available in frizzle varieties)

d'Uccle, also known as Belgian d’Uccle, Belgian Bearded d’Uccle, Barbu d’Uccle (bantam): lay 2-3 cream eggs/week; tend to be friendly, docile, flighty, free range well, and quiet; color varieties include black, golden neck, mille fleur, mottled, porcelain, self blue, and white. They also have muffs in addition to feathered legs

Faverolle (standard and bantam): lay 3-4 brown eggs/week; tend to be docile, sweet, quiet; cold hardy; color varieties include salmon and white

Langshan (standard and bantam): lay 2-3 dark brown eggs/week; tend to be friendly, calm, and docile; color varieties include black, blue, and white

Maran (standard): lay 3-4 dark brown eggs/week; tend to be calm, quiet, hardy, forage and free range well; cold hardy; color varieties include cuckoo, black copper, blue copper, blue splash, golden cuckoo, silver cuckoo, wheaten, and white

Showgirl (bantam): lay 1 cream egg/week; tend to be docile and broody; color varieties include black, blue, buff, gray, partridge, red, splash, and white. They also have muffs, top hats, and naked necks in addition to feathered legs

Silkie (bantam): lay 1 cream egg/week; tend to be docile and broody; color varieties include black, blue, buff, gray, partridge, red, splash, and white. They also have muffs and top hats in addition to feathered legs

Sultan (standard and bantam): lay 1 white egg/week; tend to be calm; only come in white. They also have top hats in addition to feathered legs

1 person likes this.
  5. fluffychick430

fluffychick430 Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Alberta,Canada
    thanks guys

i just chose bantam brahmas[​IMG]

6. Gnarled Carrots

Gnarled Carrots Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Washington
    I have 2 Buff Brahmas. They're very sweet birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by