What Chicken Breeds are these pretty birds? newbie here

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by vanalpaca, Mar 29, 2011.

1. vanalpaca

vanalpaca Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Clyde in NW Ohio
    [​IMG]
    IS this a roo? is it a cochin or something else and is it a splash or what?

There are a couple of them in this photo two and I don't know if the striped ones are barred rocks or what.
    [​IMG]
    I missed out on these locally on craigslist! They were within 45 minutes of me. I was thinking about getting 2 layers for NOW instead of having to wait until my baby chicks grow up August or so.

Thanks for help Identifying them. I thought they were really pretty chickens but no clue whether the photos are SQ or named breeds or what??

I do have one other newbie question--how safe is it to get other birds? My 'group' are all from 2 or 3 batches at the same TSC and they got them from Mt Healthy Hatcherie. Will I need to give my chicks any vaccines for anything and when. They were shipped as day old chicks and so far all are alive and growing well.

Trying to stay away from TSC because they have 'Americaunas' and I just read the catalog on them and they won't be 'true' so I know to see about getting some SQ lines from my friend that is trying to raise them instead.

OUCH! Chicken math hurts!

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think they are light brahmas. The striped are barred rocks. If you get new birds you should quarantine a month, then introduce them.
    [​IMG]

3. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So im almost positive they are columbian patterned, In the second pick the cocks appear to have feather legs, but in the first it almost looks like they have rose combs... So With that said, i think they are a cross.

When adding birds you should always quarantine them for 3-4 weeks before letting them in with the rest of your flock. Do some reading up on biosecurity.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Those are pea combs, not rose combs. [​IMG]

Looks like Light Brahmas to me, with a Dominque in the background and a Production Red too.

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:I figured that after I posted. W/e I don't claim to know all!

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

They are light brahmas and are quite large, around 8 lbs. They also come in a Bantam variety which I have and are almost 3lbs. They also come in a buff color which is very pretty!

If you have chicks now that you bought they probably are not immunized. I would not worry about it at this point either. When you purchase your two Pullets you just need to keep them quarantined from the babies and the babies have to get larger before they can be put together anyway. They do grow quickly!

Let us all know what you decide and post pics [​IMG]

7. vanalpaca

vanalpaca Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Clyde in NW Ohio
    If anyone has a beauty like the Light Brahma in the photo In NW Ohio.....but I can't have roos.....yet! Be a year or so till I move to the country!

The contrast on this one was just so pretty. They said they were ALL GONE......

So I'm back to thinking about chicken tractors.

THANKS!

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:8 pounds is the weight of a Rhode Island Red, Delawares, Wyandotte etc.

Brahmas should be -
    Roosters - 12 lbs Hens - 9½ lbs
    Cockerels - 10 lbs Pullets - 8 lbs

Brahma Bantam should be -
    Roosters - 38 oz. (2.375 lbs) Hens 34 oz. (2.125 lbs)
    Cockerels - 34 oz. (2.125 lbs) Pullets 30 oz. (1.875 lbs)

Chris

9. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I knew they were big but that is large. I have two Bantam hens and they are just over 2-1/2 lbs ea. I wonder if they are a Bantam/LF cross. They lay med/lg eggs also. Their size is perfect and they are sooooo friendly. Thanks for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by