What chicken breeds did Native Americans have?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hope119, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hope119

Hope119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
  2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    No breed. Chickens were domesticated from Asian jungle fowl. Maybe after European importation they had some, but not before. The turkey is the only domesticated animal that was developed in North America.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Incas of Peru at least had domesitic chickens prior to Columbus. Source was likely trading with Polynesians or some other Oceanic peoples that had green/blue egg producing chickens. The breed(s) where kin to existing Araucana. See following link for starting point:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Yep, South Americans definitely had domesticated fowl, but they hadn't made their way to North America until European settlement. I assumed OP was referring to North America, so I didn't mention it. There is some cool history on the arrival of chickens to South America, and a lot of conflicting theories as to when and who, it seems.

5. Hope119

Hope119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is unknown, I believe, as to whether the first group of settlers brought chickens, but subsequent deliveries to the colony absolutely brought chickens. There is evidence abounding as to chickens at the Mass Bay Colony in the early 1620's.

The much earlier Jamestown, VA colony brought chickens in 1607.

7. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Since many North American tribes were nomadic, I don't think they actually kept chickens (even if they were here before the European settlers). They tended to live off the land - probably gathered eggs from quail, grouse, pheasants and the like.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Prairie chicken maybe???? i guess the Sac&fox and Potawatomi could have attempt to work with them.

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Many native American populations were decidely agrarian with large complex societies. Complexity was great enough with at least one population that possibly nation or empire is better term than tribe. Many were on east coast and southeastern parts of present U.S. The Cahokia built large earthen pyramids up and down parts of the Mississippi drainage basin. In terms or scale, and possibly in respect to trade, the Cahokia were similar to the their contempory Aztecs of Mexico. The western movies depicting nomadic prairie tribes is only part of picture.

The more agrarian native-human populations could easily have made at least early efforts into domesticating turkeys despite all present stocks coming only from wild Yucatan turkey populations.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by