What chicken is this? We think they are Rhode Island whites, but we are not sure. Just wanted some o

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MeghanChickLady, Aug 7, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chirping

Aug 6, 2014
    We have five egg-laying hens. They are even-bodied, and have large, black pupils surrounded by orange-brown iris. Pale orange beaks. Orange legs. Thick legs, but not immensely so. Four toes, slightly curved claws. The claws are layered and frequently catch dirt beneath them. White feathers. The chickens can fly pretty far if they start from a vantage point. They are aggressive, as if they could be roosters, but we know they aren't. Thin, small, reddish orange combs that do not flop or go up at all; just rests on the head. No feathers on legs. One has a natural, beige-tan marking on both wings. They ruffle their feathers often. One has just begun to lay eggs, though the egg is small. Today I picked up the egg from the nest and held it in my hand; I can wrap my fingers around it. It was still warm. I brought it inside, and looked at it. The egg was covered in tiny, white speckles, but where my hand had touched it, the speckles had gone. Remarkably similar to the Rhode Island White, though I am not sure, which is why Im writing this. I need some second opinions. If you have an idea of this breed, please tell. Any questions, just ask. I don't know the exact age, they are mostly pullets but a few just began to lay. Please help.

2. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    We need pictures to help you.

3. Jedwards

Jedwards Songster

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Do you have any pictures?

4. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chirping

Aug 6, 2014
    No, I am not sure how to get the pictures onto my laptop. Could you tell me?

5. Jedwards

Jedwards Songster

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    You can add a picture using the icon on the tool bar when you reply to a message, it's the icon on the same section as the smiley. there also picture uploading help on the site!

6. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chirping

Aug 6, 2014
    okay, thanks! However, Im afraid you`ll have to wait until tomorrow...its nighttime out, pitch black. You have helped me with another subject, though, and I thank you for it! Im confident you`ll help me with this. You pretty much have, telling me how to use the pictures! Thank you!

7. Jedwards

Jedwards Songster

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    You're welcome![​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rhode Island Whites are pretty rare. I'd guess a white Rock, or one of the Leghorn-based hybirds from the tan on the wing.

The speckling on the egg is just a glitch in the system. Some birds, it's a one-off, some lay them consistently. I had a bird that laid a rosy colored egg with white speckles

[​IMG]
    and some that lay green eggs with brown speckles (camo eggs [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

9. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chirping

Aug 6, 2014
    but this egg had a beige-brown base color, exactly like one you buy at the store. The only difference was the speckles and the size. The speckles were the same color as the ones on your first picture, but they were much smaller and were everywhere on the egg. Both eggs I have are like this. I have two breeds together, but Im sure that the ones im trying to figure out laid them because I saw one in the nesting box and I looked after it jumped down; there was an egg laying exactly where the hen had been. I picked it up, it was stilll warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: