What chicken parazite can get on human and is so small we can' t see?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arianna, Oct 31, 2010.

1. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    Is there any chicken parasite that can get on human and be so small that we can't see it? I got few new chickens and they are still in Quarantine, they seem to be clean, but every time I handle them I feel like I have hundreds of bugs crawling on my hands and arms, yet no matter how much I tried I could not see anything. It's itching until I wash very good and then all seems to be gone. I have handle my own chicken and never felt anything on my arms.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    They can be carrying mites or lice, but real difficult to see. Mites are real tiny and lice are mostly skin colored . Lucky they thrive on chickens, not people. I think I would give them all a good dusting with Sevin powder anyway.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You just might be sensitive to their dander.

I know when I handle my birds I always feel like I am crawling with bugs, but there is never anything there. I just chalk it up to having sensitive skin.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Nothing like getting bugs on your arms and chicken poo under your fingernails! I love the outdoors!!!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

For me that would be intolerable. I would have to dust them with Sevin and maybe even Eprinex them!!!!

I hope you can eradicate the problem.

6. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you all, I just bought some Pyrethrin Dip online (I understand it is the best thing for any parasite, made out of natural plant) and it is recommended to treat any new chicken before introduce to current flock. I'm hoping after that I will not feel like hundred of bugs are crawling on me.

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The birds I handle are my show birds and I know they don't have bugs.

I would bet it's just your skin.

Let us know after you treat if you still feel itchy scratchy when you handle them please.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Nope it is not just you. Mine had either lice or mites (not sure which cause I couldn't see them) and that is how I knew they had them. I would handle them and then notice after a bit that it felt like my skin was tickling or crawling. I dusted them with seven and that was the end of the creepy crawly feeling. I treated them again 10 days later too. Fixed that problem.
    sharon

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My chickens had mites and when I'd look I couldn't see anything then one day I felt like my head was crawling in bugs went into the bathroom and used a wide mouth comb and combed my hair yuck the sink was full of what looked to be small grains of pepper but they were moving. So now everyone is treated with ivermectin and house sprayed out with sevin no more mites but I still look and scratch my head often lol They are fairly easy to get rid of but I am always looking them over just in case.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  10. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

pips&peeps :

You just might be sensitive to their dander.

I know when I handle my birds I always feel like I am crawling with bugs, but there is never anything there. I just chalk it up to having sensitive skin.

This is a good possiblity. My chickens don't have lice or mites, yet when I handle them, sometimes I get itchy. Found out right before I got my first chickens that I was slightly allergic to feathers/dander from birds (along with all the other pets I own [​IMG] )I would treat them for cooties, just in case, but I woudn't rule out being sensitive to their dust/feathers/dander. There's alot of it with our loveable little feathered friends. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by