What chickens are laying?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yeahd00d, Oct 15, 2016.

1. yeahd00d

yeahd00d Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Patchogue, NY
    Hi! New here to the community! I have 3 Rhode Island red's and 2 EE's. Just started getting eggs a few weeks ago. I know at least 1 Rhode Island is laying because the eggs are brown. But I'm wondering if chickens egg colors are always specific to the hen. For example, most of my eggs are a solid brown color, but here and there I'm also getting brown speckled eggs. I'm trying to figure out if I have 1 or 2 hens laying. I haven't gotten more than 1 egg in any given day so I believe it's 1 hen, but the fact that I'm also getting speckled eggs makes me wonder if I have 2 hens laying.

[​IMG]

The white egg is a store bought egg to show size of the pullet eggs right now. But 1 brown egg is solid, and the other has speckles. Any ideas on if it's the same hen?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. lovechicks1293

lovechicks1293 Chillin' With My Peeps

first off, [​IMG]! and second, I think that you do have two different layers, I mean, I'm not a professional, but i don think a hen would lay a solid colored egg on day and the next, lay a speckled egg! I'll get more info from some other BYC members.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Nice eggs you have gotten there :D I too would suggest that you have 2 different hens laying there. Hope you have many more eggs in the future.
    Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. yeahd00d

yeahd00d Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Patchogue, NY
    Thank you for the welcome, and input!! I initially didn't think I had 2 layers because I've not gotten 2 eggs in one day, but getting 1 egg almost daily. There have been a few days where I don't get any eggs. Though after noticing some eggs are specked and other are not I started thinking maybe 2 hens were laying.

I wasn't sure if some were speckled because the hens are young and just starting to lay.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here!

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by