1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What? Chickens can't eat clover?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by americanvalkyrie, Feb 7, 2012.

1. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    The March/April issue of Chickens (Hobby Farms) has an article on safetly free ranging your chickens in your yard. A sidebar has a list of toxic plants. Most of these make sense...

Buckeye
    Buttercup
    Clover
    Fireweed
    Foxglove
    Ground Ivy
    Hemlock
    Hemp
    Hyacinth
    Hydrangea
    Japanese Yew
    Jimson Weed
    Kentucky Coffee Tree
    Lantana
    Larkspur
    Lily-of-the-Valley
    Lupine
    Milkweed
    Purple Mint
    Nicker Tree
    Nightshade
    Ohio Buckeye
    Oleander
    Philodendron
    Rhododendron
    Rhubarb
    Saint-John's-wort
    Sudan Grass
    Tulip

But clover??? That's safe for human consumption, unlike all of the others. I've read several posts where members recommend giving clover to their chickens, and my front lawn is full of it during the summer. Can anyone clarify this for me?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Mine ate clover without any ill effects.......not all the stuff on the list is toxic. It would be toxic if that is all you feed day in and day out. Past threads have revealed how people let chickens sample their own way in the yard.

1 person likes this.
  3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    OOPS, I better go tell mine they can't have anymore![​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If they have not been sick or suffered ill effects, I would let them decide whats good and not good.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

exactly.

Anything in large amounts is not good for anyone. They need a balanced diet.

6. BobBry

BobBry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Montague, Mi
    I , IN MY PREVIOUS IGNORANCE , PLANTED ALTERNATING ROWS OF CLOVER AND ALFALFA EARLY LAST SUMMER. (JUNE IN MICHIGAN). MY YOUNG CHICKENS, HATCHED 1ST WEEK OF APRIL, DIDN'T START REALLY CHOWING ON THEM TILL LATE FALL. BY GROUND FREEZING, DECEMBER THIS YEAR, THEY HAD LEFT ONLY ROOTS. ALSO, THERE USED TO BE A LARGE RHUBARB PLANT RIGHT OUTSIDE THE POP DOOR TO THE RUN. THAT IS GONE TO A DEPTH OF 5-6 ". I HAVE 5 HENS. ALL STILL IN GOOD HEALTH APPARENTLY. I AGREE THAT IN GREATER QUANTITIES THE LISTED PLANTS COULD BE HARMFUL.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Why the Capslock?

Boone Farm and t8rtot like this.
  8. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Chickens are just doomed! Clover's bad for them, alfalfa's bad for them, regular feed has them thar evil GMOs in it, organic feed has hippie cooties...

You just can't win!

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    There are many species of clover. It could be that one particular species may be bad for poultry. I've never heard of one, but given that there are many species I suppose it's possible. Most are very good poultry feed.

10. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by