1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What chickens have black skin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FluffyChic, Mar 11, 2010.

1. FluffyChic

FluffyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    I have a 3 1/2 week old chick, that is supposed to be an EE. But, may have been an EE cross as I bought it from an individual w/lots of chickens. Anyway, he/she has gorgeous feathering and I noticed her comb, beak, and legs are slate color and skin is black. Is this a normal traight of an EE? TIA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    Yep, EE's usually have greyish skin, some don't though.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like an EE to me. I've been noticing people bringing up photos of EE's with dark skin - I think it is a strain some sort of hatchery was carrying.

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Notice the slightly feathered legs..... I bet it's mixed with a silkie somewhere in it's parentage [​IMG]

5. FluffyChic

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    thanks guys! I know I did see a silkie in her flock...I actually have another chick from her that has a little poofy head and feathered legs too [​IMG]. I know they are all probably mixes but I'm loving them anyway [​IMG].

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Looks Like and EE/Mille Fleur mix. Cute!!

7. FluffyChic

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    Thank you! He/She is almost 4wks now...and I'm dying to know if it's a roo or not!! If it's a pullet I was really hoping for some nice color EE eggs [​IMG] . But if it's a roo, I'm sure he'll be pretty.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Looks exactly like my Silkie x Rhode Island Red mix hen, except my hen has five toes on each foot and a small crest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. FluffyChic

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    Quote:Oh MY GOSH!! They look just like each other! Well, I know the lady did have RIR that she had gotten rid of and she did have at least one silkie there too!! Oh, wow maybe we figured out her mix...I'm uploading a more recent pic. So, I guess that means no different color eggs though [​IMG] ?

10. FluffyChic

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    Okay, here is an updated picture...only about a week difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by