What chickens lay all year long in cold climates?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NicInNC, Nov 14, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    My chickens have all stopped laying. I would like to get a few that lay all year long. The only ones I know of are White Leghorns. Can you all recommend others that lay all year?

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

i'm not sure of any chickens that lay all year long. All chickens that i know of need a molting season when they slow to stop laying. The problem with all year long laying is the chickens will burn out quicker.

3. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I guess I meant some that lay in cold weather. I did find a site that said that Rhode Island Reds are also good winter layers. Just wondering how true that is. I had to break down and buy a dozen eggs from the grocery store this week. I wanted to cry.

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    The one R.I.R hen I had last winter was the only one that layed about every day.

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Black sex links, red sex links, production reds......
    My barred Rocks lay all winter as well as my Cochins, cuckoo Marans, Araucanas, Easter Eggers, Salmon Faverolles, Jersey Giants and all my black and red sex links. I have open air coops and do not use lighting. Well fed birds with good nutrition are going to lay.
    Also, if you have only a few birds you will not have any eggs when they molt for a few months. Having girls of varying ages and breeds will ensure eggs all year around.

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

most breeds will lay in winter if you supplement with some artificial light most of the duel purpose breeds are good for winter laying

7. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have 5 hens. Two EE's, 1 silkie, 1 game and 1 black polish. I think my Polish is molting because her "afro" is missing a ton of feathers that are being replaced by baby fine white feathers. There is stuff that looks like white fur all over the ground in their run.

8. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    Dorkings lay well in cold weather.

9. Splash Giants

Splash Giants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    My Rhode Island Reds and White Leghorns lay very good in the colder months.

10. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've made a decision. I'm going to get one Rhode Island Red and one Leghorn. [​IMG]

Now I need to let the feed store know to call me when they get some in.

Oh, and when I went out to their coop today to check everything, I found 5 eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by