what chickens should I use for egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peacockdude, Oct 14, 2016.

1. peacockdude

peacockdude Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    I was planning on getting 4 hens and a roo what breeds do you suggest that lay eggs a lot

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    There are lots.... are you looking for heritage breeds or purebred birds or just any that lay good! Sex-links often lay tons of eggs!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Many choices - white leghorns and RIRs spring to mind - but thats just the tip of the iceberg! I'd suggest getting a few more girls for your planned rooster - 4 is likely to be too few and could result in over-breeding / feather loss and stress. Check out the breeds section - you can use the parameters there to limit your search to good layers.

Good luck and enjoy
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. peacockdude

peacockdude Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Anything good

5. peacockdude

peacockdude Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    I just want something that lays eggs like a machine

6. AshleyFarm

AshleyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    New York
    Rhode Island Reds (RIR) are good. Idk if you are getting them from a tractor supply but they call them production reds and production whites. I've had both and I was getting 3-4 eggs a day from each

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  7. peacockdude

peacockdude Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Thanks

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I don't know if I am reading that wrong or you mistyped, but getting more than one egg a day from a hen is a very rare occurrence. It might happen once in a blue moon that you get a 2nd egg within a 24hr period from a particularly good hen but it will not happen on a regular basis and more than 2 in 24hrs even as a one off, is pretty much a miracle.

Red sex links and leghorns are the most productive breeds but you need to balance production out over the lifetime of a chicken. Some high production birds will burn themselves out in a couple of years, whereas others will continue to lay eggs for 4-5years or more.
    Production reds and black sex links are also good. I particularly like the latter as they have great personalities and are hardier and seem to live longer. Sadly I don't have any in my flock at the moment.

2 people like this.
  9. AshleyFarm

AshleyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    New York
    It was a mistype 2-3 eggs is what was meant. I don't know how it was done and I fed them normal food. I would get one in the morning, one in the after noon and one at night. The norm was 2 eggs a day though.

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by