What chicks are these under my Silkie mamma!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FatChicksDigMe, Feb 25, 2016.

1. FatChicksDigMe

FatChicksDigMe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to what breed or cross these might be: my Silkie went broody for the first (and probably not last!) time, so I just let her sit on some eggs and hoped they were fertile. We have a mixed flock, and at the time the eggs were layed, the roosters were Rhode Island reds, a black silkie, and barred Plymouth Rocks... The hens were australorps, Easter eggers, a Rhode Island red, Dominiques, an Orpington, a mixed red ranger(?), and a light Brahma.

Today I found two beautiful chicks under my Silkie: one was a pinkish egg, the other was from a blue egg. So, what could they be![​IMG]

2. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    The one from the blue egg is an Easter egger mix... And i think the buff ones mom could be the buff Orpington.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  3. FatChicksDigMe

May 9, 2015
    Thank you! I think you are correct, the golden one is probably a mix of a RIR roo and my Bo hen. I think the blue chick is a mix of barred rock roo and my ee hen...I just have to wait for the gender!!!

4. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    Glad to help :) let us know if any more hatch!

5. FatChicksDigMe

May 9, 2015
    Update: three hatched so far out of six (she stole two more about a week ago, so I might have to incubate those myself)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by