what color am I going to be? New Babie Pics!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaneRae, Apr 17, 2009.

1. LaneRae

LaneRae Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Elkton, VA
    Hi Everyone!

I posted a few days ago that I purchased a few chicks from Tractor Supply.

Here is a pic of the 6 babies. We have 4 Comets. 2 hens and 2 roos. The ligher chicks are the Sussex. I put an old sweater in there for them and they seem to love it. They crawl under and over and sleep near it. I think it gives them some sort of comfort and feeling of safety at night.

[​IMG]

The Whole Chickatat

[​IMG]

The container we purchased the Sussex out of said "Columbian" on one piece of paper taped to the troth and the other one said "Speckled Sussex". I have no idea what Speckled chicks are supposed to look like but I would bet these are Columbian. They have just a couple of feathers on the tips of their wings and they are white. Do you think I am correct?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Sussex two also are the friendliest of the lot. One peeps constantly until we come in the room and then runs over to the edge of the troth, we put our hand down and it jumps right on. It cuddles with us while we watch TV and takes naps in our long hair on our shoulder. The other one is also almost as nice. Not quite as outgoing though. The Comets are stahd-offish and easy to determine sex and we have two roos and two hens. The Sussex I have no idea. How do I tell????

Let me know what you think of the chicks and pics!

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    They are mighty cute. I can tell you that those two chicks don' t look like Speckled Sussex because I've had some, but I don't know what Columbians look like, so I'm not much help on that.

Have fun!

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG]

This is an SS, it's a little older but you can see that its back was quite dark, darker than any of your chicks.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:95% of the time, your friendliest chick will be a little Rooster. At least that has been my experience.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by