What color and pattern is this Muscovy pair?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Barney47, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Barney47

Barney47 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    N. Central, ILL
    I am not too sure about the color of this pair. I thought maybe blue but I have seen some blue much darker. Also what is the pattern and what do you call the white on the heads. The black next to them has the same pattern on the head and I have several others with the same. The parents are both pied.

Also what would the possibilities be from this pair? I really want to get some solid blues.

Thank you much.

[​IMG]

2. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks to be blues

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    What color patern is the one behind the blues? It looks like my drake..........

4. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Any pics of the parents, or, what colour pied eg, are both blue pied, or one black pied, or other colour involved?

The shade of blue in birds can vary quite significantly. The white on the head could be an early sign of things to come? Both birds pictured (young drake & duck) still appear to be quite young?

5. Barney47

Feb 13, 2010
    N. Central, ILL
    Buff,

Center duck is one you were asking about. Mostly black some white on the chest. I suppose it is called pied. Still like to know what the white on the head signifies and to what it will lead. I guess I will find out this summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rollyard,

These are the parents. Hen on the left. This was my last hatch and they are only a few months old. I wasn't going to hatch any more for the season but she started setting and I just let her go. Now I have too many ducks; about 40. I want to raise some blues and you can see I have some chocolates. I got those eggs on ebay and hatched out about a dozen. What will the white on the head lead to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    They look like solid blues. Don't count the white head, if they have that gene. It looks to me like they're just starting to get the white feathers on the head.

7. Barney47

Feb 13, 2010
    N. Central, ILL
    So if I match up the two blues would the young be solid blue with the white head or could you get pied also. I want to eventually have solid blues.

8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

White head is dominant. If you have white head.... you will get white head. Sometimes it take a year or so to develop. I have 3 chocolates all fm the same breeder. Two developed white head when they were just a few months old. Their sister looked to be solid but now at 8-9 mo. old white is beginning to show around her caruncles. I expect more white to develop once she molts next year.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Hello fellow central Illinois member [​IMG] I have no clue what color they are since I dont have scovy's but they look like a blue color....

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

They look like blue fawns to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited to add--this is a solid blue drake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by