What Color and Sex is This Sweet Little Runt? New info in post #8

bremat

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
KY
This sweet little cochin bantam is 6 weeks old believe it or not. It is soooo tiny and is not even as big as it looks because it is so fluffly. Any ideas on the color and gender? Sorry if the pictures are not that great. Thank you!
30566_100_2574.jpg

30566_100_2568.jpg

Last edited:
That's not a pure cochin bantam.

Looks like a silkiecross.
Cochins got yellow legs, that little guy got blue legs/beak/skin. The comb is also wrong to be a cochin... Cochins got singles combs, and this looks like a rose comb.

So my guess is, a silkie or silkiecross... My guess of gender is hen, but not 100% sure.
smile.png

It's really cuuuuuuute!!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Thanks! You know that is possible. I did buy my silkies from the same breeder. He had separate breeder pens for them all, but you never know. There could have been a little night time sneakin' around going on! LOL Well, I feel kinda dumb, not noticing the legs being the color they are. She is just so different being so small, I was focusing too much on her size, I guess. Here is a picture I posted of her a few weeks ago, if it helps. She may be a silkie and I got her confused. I had a silkie about her size until a chicken snake got her.
hit.gif

30566_100_2511.jpg

Quote:
Ok, so I went an counted her toes. She has 4 on her right foot and 5 on her left foot!!!! So, I guess she is literally half silkie. Anyone ever seen this happen?

Quote:
Ok, so I went an counted her toes. She has 4 on her right foot and 5 on her left foot!!!! So, I guess she is literally half silkie. Anyone ever seen this happen?

It's quite common when you cross them. I hatched my own silkie mixes and I think 3 of them had 5 toes on just one foot.

Back
Top Bottom