what color are birchen cochin chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by maoreme, Jun 21, 2011.

1. maoreme

maoreme Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    one of my birchen cochin eggs hatched today and the chick turned out to be white with a grey line down it's back. i thought birchen cochin chicks are suppose to be black not white and grey.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:True Birchen will hatch solid black including breast no white what so ever.
    Extended black will hatch black with a white breast, when mating extended black x extended black you get all kinds of posibilities from the hatch.
    You can get a birchen apearance by crossing a silver hackled / saddle male over black hens, but it will take many generations to get this to breed corectly.

3. maoreme

maoreme Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    i know there suppose to be black i got it's parent's when they were a day old and they were solid black and there other chicks that i hatched turned to be solid black but i dont understand why this chick is is white.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:each parent is carrying a single copy of the recessive white gene. And the chick inherited that copy from each of its parents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by