What color are Black Australorp eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I am just trying to figure out who has started to lay. I have 2 black Australorps, 11 BSL and 2 buff orpingtons. I have the last 2 days been getting some small darker brown eggs and I suspect those are from the BA's.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Buff Orps lay brown eggs as well, and pullet eggs tend to be darker brown in my experience. I dunno about Australorps as I have never owned one of those. Hope that helps.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My BA lays fairly light eggs, always has. They are creamy tan, w/a yellow cast. My BA lays the lightest of my eggs. But maybe that's just my girl. My BO's eggs are darker than hers.

4. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I don't think my BO's are laying yet, but I could be wrong. I also have a Production Red that I think was thrown in with the BSL.

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My BA lays a nice brown egg (like store brown color).

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well you know, I just went back to look at my egg pictures on my BYC page, and all their eggs were darker when they first started laying. So hers lightened up/adjusted over time. So it could be your BA...lol.

7. claychickens

claychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    Clay Alabama
    I have four. 2 are laying dark brown and 1 is laying a pinkish color egg and one has not started laying yet.

8. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Australorps usually lay light/tan to dark brown eggs, sometimes with tan or white speckles on them. Buff Orpingtons lay brown or pinkish eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    All chickens' eggs will lighten up with time, both over the course of the season and the hen's life span.

BA lay anywhere from a light tan to a medium brown, depending on the bird.

10. Catherine Kelly

Catherine Kelly New Egg

Jul 22, 2012
    they lay tan and light brown eggs[​IMG] if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by