What color are my guineas??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by shelleyd2008, Apr 28, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have had several people see them and say "Oh, you have white guineas!" In my opinion, there is not one white guinea on the place, but I thought I would ask the experts and see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My opinion is buff dundotte and either buff, blonde, or opaline, but definitely not white. What do you think?

I'll have to get some more pics of the lighter ones, these aren't very good ones. But they surely don't look white to me! The lighter ones almost have a blueish tint to them. Don't know if that's natural, or if they have been dust bathing in the ashes where my dad burns stuff at. [​IMG]

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Could they be pied? Just a thought![​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:No, they aren't pied. The darker ones are almost for sure buff dundotte. The lighter ones I'm having trouble with. I have had some that were pied (lavender and white), and the lighter of my adults are definitely not white, but I'm not sure what color they are! [​IMG]

4. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Dang, I have to remember to look at this at home, my work computer won't show photobucket pictures [​IMG]

I am having the same problem. We have "white" guineas, but they can't be white because I can see white dots on them! [​IMG]

I guessing you have already looked at the photos on:
    http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/colors/

I certainly hope someone can help you out.

ooh. I just found:
    http://paraguinparadise.netfirms.com/guinea_fowl colors.htm
    you can click on the thumbnails for a slightly larger photo, but of course the don't have porcelain, lite lavender or lite blue
    also:
    http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/colorchart/

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Looks like you have white and either buff or chocolate. Look at this website for color info. www.brensbirdsofparadise.com It is a great resource.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They look like Buff Dundottes to me. That variety can vary considerably with some of the lighter ones appearing almost white.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Thanks for those links. I hadn't found the guineafowlinternational site before, and those really helped. Judging by their description, and the pics on that one, it looks like my lighter ones are opaline...I'm still torn on the darker two. They aren't chocolates, since they have almost no pearling on their bodies. I'll try to get better pics later, if the silly things will let me get closer...Now, if only I could get the 2 of each color to pair up instead of mix-matching, that would be great! [​IMG] I have 2 of each color, one male and one female, but the light ones have chosen the darker mates. Then I have another dark colored male that is all alone [​IMG]

8. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you need more guineas in other colors to compare them to....maybe you ought to try to collect all the colors? [​IMG] (Just offering a helpful opinion) [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There is one hen I'm trying to get from a friend of mine that is very, very dark colored, it looks almost black. Other than that, I want some lavenders. I don't like the 'normal' looking ones, just ones you don't see everyday [​IMG]

10. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

I have lavenders but the coral blues & royal purples are much prettier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by