What color are other people's eggs? And who lives near Huntville, AL?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Pecked2Death, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Pecked2Death

Pecked2Death Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2012
    Hi,

I have a mixed group of Chickens that I purchased at seperate times and one hen RIR went very broodie - I bought some eggs for her to hatch and she did a fine job. Copper Marans. Some of my other hens had laid in with the "hatchable eggs" and I could barely tell the difference. So I was trying to work out which hen lays what!
    Most of the hens I had then have been killed by a neighbours dog - only two surviving - both RIR's. SO I am guessing they lay dark nice round shaped eggs.

We then got 5 red stars, 1 atstrope (sp) a white hen that we don't know what she is ( small) and 6 black giants.
    The other hens started laying before the black giants so I belived the dark eggs were coming the from then. No I am not sure, I am getting cream colored eggs, ones that look like elongated footballs. Between 8 - 12 eggs a day - but the big brown ones every day.

Any help??
    Anyone what to send me photos of their hens of the same variety and egg photos?

Secondly, I am looking at changing out some of my hens even though all but two are fresh layers starting about 2-3 months ago. (the 2 year old ones lay every day) :)

I don;t want the football eggs, they don;t fit into any egg cartons and people don;t choose them from a basket either.

Does anyone live near Huntsville, AL, that breeds chickens that may have some for sale that are going to start laying soon?

Stef

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by