What color are these bantam Cochin chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ESofVA, Sep 30, 2013.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I have two black Cochin chicks, 1 one month and 1 six week old and both are different. They are not just black, but I am not sure what you would call the colors.

Any help most appreciated!!!

#1 Cockerel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first chick looks like either a dark Blue Cochin, or a Black Cochin--the white wing feathers are relatively common in young blue or black birds.The second one could be a poor quality Silver-Laced Cochin or some sort of mix.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your first Cochin is a black or dark blue Cochin. As Bantamlover21 said, white feathers are fairly common in black or blue birds. Your second chick may be a Silver-Laced Cochin, but it will be easier to tell when he/she is older.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the first two posts though the second chick could also be a Golden Laced Cochin, but from the feathering it's showing right now I would say SLW.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    For # 2 that is whitish down the middle of the feathers. #1 looks black but around the edges of his feathers it looks darker black. I know the white wing feathers will go away like Australorps do. Its feathers look like dark, dark charcoal gray with black lacing

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by