What color are these mini rex rabbits?

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
These are the two I have left from my mini rex litter. The other two where black otter does like mom. Dad is a broken black. I think the doe might be broken black silver martin ( I had it in the last litter) but the buck? Its not broken black otter because he doesn't have the tan around his eyes, lip and the inside of his ears. But its not broken black either, Could it be a broken blue? Dad has a tortoise and castor in his background, though it is three generations back, the moms pedigree is all blacks and black otters

Not sure if it matters but the does previous litters contained
-with same father - two broken black otters, one broken black and one broken black silver martin
with a chinchilla colored father (before I knew that crossing these two colors would mess up the colors of the offspring)
one castor, one chinchilla and two black otter

Here are the kits in question - I may keep Dexter- but it depends on what color he is.
Dexter
minirexkits2ndlitterkit2face.jpg

SmithsDexter.jpg

Jazz
SmithsJazzHands-Copy.jpg

SmithsJazzHands2.jpg

For comparison this is the kit that was broken black silver martin in the first litter ( a judge told me the color as i Couldn't figure it out)
minirexkitQuest.jpg

Thanks!
Melissa

k.... guess I was just hoping for broken blue. I don't think its broken black as the kit I had from the last litter was A LOT darker. Seemed like he didn't have the white around his eyes and nose like Jazz does, but you are probably right and it is broken black silver martin. A color I am really not into and am wondering which of my parent rabbits is the one responsible for throwing so many of these colored offspring. Any ideas? as I am thinking of getting a different buck or doe by next spring

So after looking at the pictures again I don't think he can be a black silver martin, not even positive about her. If you look at the picture of the black silver martin kit from the last litter you can see on the nose the white on his nose, Dexter doesn't have that, its harder to tell with Jazz because of how much white is on her nose.

I think I am going to send the pictures to the same judge who helped me with the colors last time and see what she thinks.

Dexter is a broken black.

As you said about the broken martin having white at the nose,notice it also has white that lines on the inside part of the ears. An otter would have orange instead of the white of the silver martin.

Super cute bunnies and pics BTW.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom