What color are these silkie chicks? Help please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rilly10, Aug 25, 2010.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I hatched out some eggs from a BBS pen with some split to lav and here are some of the chicks. I have one white serama (not from the silkie eggs LOL), one blue, one black, and two in question. Here is the group...
    [​IMG]
    This one is the light colored chick in question...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the dark one in question...
    [​IMG]

I know for sure this pen has ONLY BBS and some are split to Lav. I am a little thrown by these two though. Somewhere I reas splits can hatch out with stripes? Any help or input to what lav splits from BBS can look like at hatch would be greatly appreciated!

PS sorry for the bad pics! My camera is MIA and my cell take HORRIBLE pics! I will try to get better ones tonight!

Edit for spelling! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    PS. There are no partridge birds on the property.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Now there is [​IMG]

Not sure on the lighter one; can you get better photos?

4. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Quote:Now there is [​IMG]

Not sure on the lighter one; can you get better photos?

[​IMG] LOL!!!! I like that answer! I will try to get better pics tonight. I think hubby stole my camera to brag at work about the new silkie coop he built me!

Is it true that some lav splits from BBS can have stripes? I read that somewhere and heard that is the reason every one is using blacks to lav, and not BBS? I have a few birds coming in that are blue that carry the LAV gene and just want to figure out who they should be housed with? Will bbs/ muddy lav?

5. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

You're in a run for your money trying to guess silkie genetics!![​IMG] This faintly striped chick could only have come out of 2 roos---one light buff and the other (who happens to be at auction) a splash/lav. The hens laying were buff or splash. This was the only chick who had stripes and its now grown to a very light solid buff. Your darker one with stripes really looks partridge
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I have seen splits and lavs have light stripes at hatch, but none were as dark as the 'partridge' chick. If I were to hazard a guess the lighter one could be splash carrying lav or some such.

7. afinney

afinney Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Gainesboro, TN
    The light colored one looks like a white to me We hatched out some from 2 white parents and looked just like yours.......I also had a buff orp in with a white silkie roo(just to keep him company cuz she started eating eggs) and she decided to sit and she had 2 white ones, 2 black/bright orange, and a blue one all with 5 toes, beards, blus skin, and feathers all the down to their toes. Crazy color combos that I never expected!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by