What Color Are These Silkie Chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horseshoecreekranch, May 23, 2010.

1. horseshoecreekranch

horseshoecreekranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    I have a few silkie chicks that hatched about 5 days ago. They came from a pen that has a Lavender Roo, 1 lavender hen,a few Black hens, a few black split/lav hens and 1 blue hen (she was getting beat up in the BBS pen). These are some of the first eggs I have hatched from this pen. Are these Lavender chicks or splash chicks? They look a little different than the splash chicks that I hatched from our BBS pen. I have never seen a Lavender chick so I dont know. Would appreciate any help. Also if anybody has any pictures of lavender silkie chicks I would love to see!!!

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Very cute. This one should be white. When you see the little wings growing it that should help you.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They look white, but they could be a very light splash according to the colors you have listed of the parents. They are split lavenders, though.

4. horseshoecreekranch

Jun 26, 2009
    We dont have any white silkies. I dont know how they would end up white? Any ideas. I got the lavender roo and splits from a very good breeder. Could this happen if a bird has white in its genes or something? Im new to all this. All the other chicks from this pen were black(lav splits maybe).

5. horseshoecreekranch

Jun 26, 2009
    Why would them come out so light? Would these be chicks I dont want to keep?

6. isadream

isadream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Huntsville, Alabama
    When you are dealing with genes you can always have something reccessive pop out. I bought some Birchen Cochins eggs and I had columbian hatch out of some of them. Columbian is recessive to Birchen and it showed up. When dealing with color I am learning to always expect the unexpected.

Renee

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:Its all about genetics. Hidden stuff can pop up even after 30+ years of breeding, all it takes is the right two parents to make the genetic oddity. Your olny supposed to get black chicks from black parents, but yet every year I get silver gened white silkies and odd ball silkies from my black pen. My blacks also carry a silver gene as they have a tiny bit of silver in the males hackles. I have been told there is lavender in their background, and its known to me that the father bird I have came from a Myron Turk line and he bred white to black at some point.
    The chicks I have hatched (I think all from the same hen) are all born white, with pinkish skin that darkens after several weeks. They are feathering in kinda mottled (not splash at all) but only time will tell what color they will turn out to be.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    White in silkies is almost always recessive. If a bird carries one copy, it does not show. So it is very easy to get whites from a non-white pen if the male and at least one female carry a copyy of recessive white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by