What color are these silkie chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by daze333, Apr 6, 2011.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    I am hatching test eggs from my mixed flock right now and got some interestingly colored chicks! They are from a blue hen and have blue, black and white roos in there. What mixture could have produced these colors? This blue hen has been proven to throw blue, black and splash babies in the past, no partridge.

The first chick (the dark one) has a black undercolor and red/brown on it's chipmunk strip and cream markings on it's head (these looked silver right after hatch). The lighter one looked silver right after hatch, though it was a splash, but now it has yellow or buff fluff in there. They are adorable, I am just curious what you would call them? Black partridge? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The partridge likely has the white father; the blue could have either the black or the blue as its father. There is no such thing as black partridge. It is simply partridge.

3. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Thanks Sonoran,
    So is the first one a "normal" partridge? I have some teens that are black base with red for their brown, then I have some that are blue base with buff colored brown, then one that is really dusty light blue with tan.... And even some that are mostly black with red chests and black ones with a tan necklace. Are all these called just partridge? Are there perimeters for acceptable or "wanted" colors and patterns for partridge?

Also is the second chick just a blue?

Thanks!

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Could be splash, and may have other things show up as it matures. Hard to say at this point.

Partridge should meet the ABA/APA standard. Blue partridge has blue diluting black pigment. Shouldn't really be any buff on them. Males should have black breasts, although that is not as common with silkies as it should be.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The left one looks like it will be a dark partridge, but as the other poster mentioned could be other colors going on in there if it is a mixed flock. The one on the right looks like what I call a dirty buff or blue X buff.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

the striped one looks to be partridge and the other lighter one looks like what I call "Blue buff" I have a few chicks that look similar to this, from a blue X buff mating. - my favorite chicks so far from my chickens, very pretty mix of blue, charcoal, and buff.

7. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Thank you all for your advice![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by