1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color are week-old white silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by devin0, Sep 24, 2010.

1. devin0

devin0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    May sound like a stupid question, but what colors are white silkie chicks? Because I got 3, one of them is a dirty buff/grayish/lemon color, one's fully lemon-color, and the other one's in between. Will they stay this color when they grow up or will it just wear off and they'll all turn white?

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have no experience with white but I have read a lot of posts about this. Many white chicks hatch out silver or almost buff but turn out white. Yours will most likely turn out white. I think its because white is recessive or dominant (I think) lol

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Most of my whites start out as yellow or tan and a month later turn white. These are now snow white:

[​IMG]

4. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    any white bird is typically pure yellow when first hatched. then the white feathers come in.

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Or they can hatch like this:

[​IMG]

And have the greyish colored one grow up to look like this:

[​IMG]

All three chicks came from the same two white parents.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    My whites are born all different colors, and either turn white or carry the silver genes like Robin416's bird.

7. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    Except its probably not the silver gene but after a discussion with Sigi is probably dominate white. The gray chicks are always male and with each breeding the color becomes more pronounced, that little boy is an F2. The F3's have even more gray color to them.

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I gave one to SonRise Silkies, and I am pretty sure it's a pullet. I'll have to email her and double check. I also sold another one that was a pullet. So, I guess I don't know what color they are then. I've got one more, I'll have to keep it now, so I can see what sex it is. They are def. not white, which is why I thought they might be carrying the silver genes. Hmmmmmmmm....... now it's going to drive me crazy [​IMG]

9. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    Check out the discussion on the ASBC forum. In the genetics forum you'll see the topic where she explained what she believes is happening.

10. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:I only have 2 color hatch from my whites, yellow and grayish(carring silver), but all mine turn white, I have never had an adult to keep greyish feathers though...hmmm Interesting. I believe I have had some grayish colored chicks to be pullets also, but not positive. I will keep a eye out when I start hatching some whites.

ETA- also my grayish chicks seem to resist the yellowing of the hackle & saddle feather due to sun exposure, they are bright white.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by