What color are your Australorp's eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JMarch, Aug 30, 2014.

1. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I've got some RSL and production red pullets that have been laying for about a week. My Aussies are a few weeks younger- wondering if I'll be able to tell their eggs apart. Seems like I read somewhere that the Aussie's eggs are lighter and more yellowish in color. Anyone know or be able to show some pics for comparison?

Next year i'll be crossing the Australorp roosters with my red pullets- hoping I don't end up inadvertently incubating Aussie eggs.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I hoping to find out the same thing.....my Australorp is 17 weeks so close to laying. It depends on the strain and if it's a show quality chick or hatchery quality. I heard that hatchery Australorps lay lighter colored eggs.

3. JMarch

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Mine are definitely hatchery chickens- got them at the feed store. Maybe someone will chime in soon.

4. JMarch

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    anyone have photos?

5. Bostonbea

Bostonbea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Greensboro, NC
    I can maybe post a pic tomorrow but my Australorps lay a pretty light brown egg compared to my Red Sex Link. Her's is a dark brown. Got all of them at the feed store so I'm pretty sure they're from a hatchery.

6. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    [​IMG] this is what my BA eggs look like. Pinkish - light brown color! Here's my girl Penguin. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. JMarch

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    thanks! Those do look a bit lighter than what my RSL and production reds are laying. Hopefully I'll be able to tell the difference when it comes time to start incubating!

8. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Yes they are pretty light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by