1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color are your marans' eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by biretta, Jul 25, 2007.

1. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    I would like to order some marans for laying purposes, but have read that in some lines the distinctive characteristic of mahogany colored eggs has incidentally been bred out, in favor of other desirable characteristics. I am wondering if your marans' eggs are true-to-species (mahogany-colored) and if so, where you bought them? Has anyone purchased marans from Meyer's Hatchery? Thanks!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you are looing for good Marans, with good egg color I would advise dealing directly with a breeder. Hatchery birds in all reality are not up to what you appear to be looking for.

Google Maran clubs and you will find american listings and contacts. There is also a maran group on Yahoo Groups.

I could help you with GOOD quality Marans but unfortunately I am in Canada and import/export can be prohibitive due to cost.

3. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    Darn, that's too bad, especially considering I am only 8 miles from the Canadian border, from B.C.! Thanks for the input though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by