What color are your yolks? I'm disappointed with mine

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Jul 24, 2008.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here. My girls get their layer crumbles, fresh water, broccoli, apple wedges, dry oats and I let them out to forage in the evenings to eat grass, bugs, etc. I thought "home grown" hens would give me a dark orange yellow yolk....like I've heard. Mine are a light lemony yellow [​IMG] what's up with that?? Is that normal?

2. shaylee

shaylee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Hamilton, Il
    Flax helps. My egg yolks are much more orangy when they have flax in with their food. Some people use marigolds too.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, lemonly yellow is better than pale yellow of 70's counter tops. Mine range from a deep yellow to yellow orange, and in winter, they at times get to a paler yellow.

4. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    LOL...70s counter tops were cool [​IMG]....in the 70s...LOL! I guess I will be happy for the lemony yellow. I was so eager to see that orange yellow golden yolk!

I might have to try some flax seed to see if that helps.

Thanks!

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    The dark yolks are partially due to beta carotene (a form of vitamin A) - think grated carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squashes. Our flock loves them.

6. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Great suggestion...Thanks! I have never given them any of those...I'll add to the grocery list [​IMG]

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    If it was me I would subract. I give my girls layer crumbles/soon to be pellet and a few veggies.......like corn on the cob and cabbage...hanging, plus grit and oyster shell.

I also feed some cracked corn but not too much.

The yolks are a deep deep orange.

Hope this helps.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    More greens should give them orange yolks. Mine eat a lot of different pasture plants, leafy garden greens and native plants while they are foraging. They eat a small amount of fruit that they find and half ripened seeds. They love bugs of all kinds and worms, but mostly they eat a lot of green food. In the winter, when everything is covered in snow, their yolks get lighter and turn a deep gold, instead of a dark orange.

Anything green or orange in the veggie family should help.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    How about dandelion greens? Or Collards? When I weed I throw all the dandelion greens in there and they are gone in no time.

10. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the suggestions....I will experiment with some of of these and see if it makes a difference. Can't wait to see if the yolks turn a golden yellow instead of lemon yellow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by