What color Brahma and Cochins are these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyBclucky, Feb 19, 2012.

1. LadyBclucky

LadyBclucky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Cherryland, CA
    I promised my DH a white chicken did I get one? The feed store kept the Cochins and Brahmas in the same bin, to the trained eye there may be a difference but to me it was difficult, I got help from the owner of the store, but I'm concerned I could have ended up with 2 different colored brahmas instead of 2 different colored Cochins, none the less, I'm looking for some help from my friends at BYC, let me know what color chicken I'm looking at here, and if they are what I think they are.
    Here's the Brahma (or so I think)
    [​IMG]
    And here's one Cochin :
    [​IMG]
    And the other Cochin:
    [​IMG]
    So what color are these cuties? Thanks everyone!

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    If Im not mistaken, cochins have single combs, and brahmas do not. Colors on the other hand, I am not so good with...

3. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    I have Brahma and Cochin chicks who are a little farther along. Based on mine, I would say the middle one is a buff brahma. Your bottom one looks like my white Cochin. The top one looks like a silver laced Cochin, but not %100 sure on that one. Brahma's have a rose comb, but it is too early to see at this age.

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    You can tell, you just gotta look close! Usually, a rose comb will look like a flat triangle on their faces at this age.

[​IMG]

Single combs will look like the blade of a serated steak knife sticking up off of their little heads [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for fun, because you really cannot see her comb from this shot, my bantie cochin as a wee one. Her name is Karma. She was straight out of the mixed bantie bin at the feed store, and even as a wee one, her comb looked like someone had squished it to one side.

[​IMG]

Here she is from a couple of weeks ago. From straight on, her comb still lays to the right a little LOL.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    #1 light brahama - white with black hackles and tail
    #2?
    #3 white cochin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by