What color/ breed would you like to see in the coming few years??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heathersboers, Feb 18, 2011.

1. GIANT lavender cochins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Coronation Brahmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    We are working on quite a few projects here at White Oak--- Just wanted to see what everyone else thought would be a cool color or breed combo... We need more ideas, something different!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I would hate to break it to you, but neither. Both are Lavender based, and I think we need more than ever to focus on the numerous lavender colored breeds we already have, as they ALL need a lot of work. [​IMG]

If I had to choose though, I'd say the Brahmas, granted they fit the SOP well. That means large size, an actual brow, and a good topline and tail. There are so many Light Brahmas out there I just don't like. I'm talking pinched tails, sweet expression on the face, too long of legs, too generally narrow appearance. Brahmas are an amazing breed, and get so little credit.

3. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:OK- What would you think would be a newer project to work on?? It is hard to keep the breed characteristics when changing the colors. My hubby wants the coro brahmas bad!! He has started on it, but still a long way to go. I was thinking mille fleur Giant cochins maybe??

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    And also there are others that already have "Coronation" Brahmas and LF Lav Cochin projects going incase you didnt know and wanted to be the first one to work on them or something.

My personal opinion is I'm not particularly impressed with the Coronation color and like Illia mentioned, solid lavender is becoming kinda cliche with everyone trying to breed the color into every breed and it will be like the Andalusian Blue color soon.

However I see on your website that you have Buff Brahmas so I do thing that Buff Isabel ( Lav diluted Buff Columian) Brahmas would look cool. I would also like to see Brown Red and Birchen Brahmas made but like Illia said, they need to look like real Brahmas and have that mean Bulldog looking face like is in Oriental Gamefowl so for that part I would suggest using oriental Gamefowl in an early cross of a Brahma Project to get that look. Thats kinda how Big Medicines Silver Laced Brahmas started with a White Cornish X Silver Laced Cochin that came out looking very similar to a brahma which insprired his project and he now has some very nice looking birds. And Illia has Shamos which should be a good oriental breed to use if you could get some from here. Though I believe Malays were the breed that was originally used in greating them.

So of what you mentioned the lav Cochins would be by far the easiest of the two as you would only have to breed the gene in and keep breeding to the best Blacks you can find and breed together to keep the Lav gene popping up. But the Brahma projects would me more ambitious and take more time and juggling of traits, but it would be more rewarding in my opinion if you could make a new color of REAL Brahmas.

5. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I know as soon as the choc orps come out- someone will be on top of the chocolate brahmas--the thought has already crossed my mind... Im gonna do something different though-a birchen brahma would be awesome!!

6. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    In my opinion, for what it's worth, your time would be well spent working on getting the Brahmas you have closer to standard before attempting to develop new colors using them as you starting point. Like what has already been said here, the color should be secondary to the canvas it is applied to.

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Agreed Chocolate will be the new Blue and Lavender in the next few years, as soon as its out it will be bred into every breed imaginable.

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Blue Speckled Sussex

9. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Citron Spangled Ameraucana.

10. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:When it comes to Brahmas in "new" colors, I would take what this man says as solid gold!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by