What color can chickens see the LEAST?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jjdward, May 19, 2011.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I have two light fixtures in my coop. One, I have a switch like you would for a light in your home, and also I have one that I can plug in. I sometimes go in the coop after work which is after dark and when I turn the light on to check things out, of course they all jump down like its daylight and start eating and drinking. Then when I turn it off they are in the dark. I have tried a 25 watt red light bulb but they still will jump down sometimes, not nearly as bad though. Would blue or green be better? Or maybe a lower wattage? The only thing about a lower watt bulb is then I can't see!!! lol

So what do you think?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How about an led nightlight or bulb? They are pretty dim. I use an led flashlight to check on my girls.

3. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I also use an LED flashlight, but they will even jump down with that!

4. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:[​IMG] They are sure feisty girls!!

5. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Get those night vision googles that the military has to see in the dark-[​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:[​IMG]

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    At work with wild critters and fish, I use red lites with low wattage. You may need to give your eyes time to adjust before visiting with birds. Biggest problem with other spectra / wavelengths, especially blues and purples is they are closer to wavelengths (ultraviolet) that many critters us to decide wether it is daytime or not. Therefore they may make birds more active than red already in use.

8. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Cool, I may just try a lower watt bulb. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by