1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT COLOR COMES OUT IF I MIX SILKIE COLORS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacob Temple, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Jacob Temple

Jacob Temple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    i HAVE A HEN MAKING A NEST WITH BOTH DIFFERENT COLORS WHAT COLORS SHOULD I EXPECT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    ?????

Need more specific question.

3. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    well the mom is a full blooded grey silkie and the dad is full blooded silkie and i wanted to no what color would come out with both full blooded but different color

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Ok... Here ya go... Mom is pure white... Dad was black with gold leakage... This is what I got... AND the white/grey/black one has pink skin... Yup. SO, when you just randomly mix, you will just have to wait. It's like Christmas. LOL

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

AND you will have special fun, since Mom is not a solid grey. I see shades of brown in there.

6. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    its not brown its a just dark grey for some reason the pic made it look more of a brown

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

It depends on the genetic makeup of your birds, not just what they look like. You are unlikely to get standard colored birds, but that doesn't mean they wont be pretty.

8. I see some tan leakage...so I don;t think its just the camera

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I agree. Definitely see leaking colours.

White covers all colours, so who knows what else the father has in his parentage. I've had a white male pop up out of a buff x blue. Showing that the lines were not pure (correct me if I'm wrong here). White to white (even if they pop up like mine did) will only produce white.

White to any other colour is like rolling the dice. Or a box of chocolates ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    w know for a fact the father is a full blooded white we have shown him and and got some ribbons but the show wasnt as fun i i thought it would be but anyway will they look like a silkie body and all but just different colors

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by